Totally Removing Software
    Hey,
    I recently installed a software program and had to remove it because I messed up the installation. However, I believe I screwed up because every time I try to reinstall the program I can not select my Mac HD because it says that a newer version of the software is already installed on this volume. How can I totally remove this software so I can install the program again?

Oh and I have removed everything from my computer with the name of the program. I've done all the stuff I know how to do. I drug everything to the trash and emptied my trash.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjalvis View Post
    Hey,
    I recently installed a software program and had to remove it because I messed up the installation. However, I believe I screwed up because every time I try to reinstall the program I can not select my Mac HD because it says that a newer version of the software is already installed on this volume. How can I totally remove this software so I can install the program again?

Oh and I have removed everything from my computer with the name of the program. I've done all the stuff I know how to do. I drug everything to the trash and emptied my trash.
    It would be much simpler to help if we knew the name of the app in question. However.... most apps you can drag/drop into the Trash and be done with it. There are a few that do install helper files into /Library and/or the User Library. For apps that came with an uninstaller, it's best to use that. Barring that... check the developer's website for a FAQ or other documentation on how to manually uninstall everything. There are a few apps that offer to "uninstall" other apps for you. They work fine for the most part, but I've yet to see one that gets 100% of everything from every app thrown at it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I've seen others on here recommend apps such as App Zapper. Google it and see if it helps.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    CleanApp is my preference, but also as mentioned earlier, plus AppCleaner. They ferret out all the application's associated files, including hidden ones.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thread Information