Can't watch embedded videos in Safari on external screen
    Hi,

First post on the forum.

I have a three year old white MacBook, using OSX 10.6.3, and am using a mini DVI - VGA adapter to connect an external monitor to it. I also use a mini DVI - HDMI adapter to connect the MacBook to my TV.
    Some days ago i realized that I no longer could watch embedded videos, like Youtube, on the external screens using Safari.
    Either the area where the movie is supposed to play remains black, or it freezes during the first frame. Sound keeps rolling though.

I tried out Firefox and discovered that the problem didn't appear there. I haven't done anything special with Safari that could be the reason for this. I do have Glimmer Blocker, but it's turned off.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this?

Quote Originally Posted by infrared View Post
    Hi,

First post on the forum.

I have a three year old white MacBook, using OSX 10.6.3, and am using a mini DVI - VGA adapter to connect an external monitor to it. I also use a mini DVI - HDMI adapter to connect the MacBook to my TV.
    Some days ago i realized that I no longer could watch embedded videos, like Youtube, on the external screens using Safari.
    Either the area where the movie is supposed to play remains black, or it freezes during the first frame. Sound keeps rolling though.

I tried out Firefox and discovered that the problem didn't appear there. I haven't done anything special with Safari that could be the reason for this. I do have Glimmer Blocker, but it's turned off.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this?
    I would start by removing GlimmerBlocker completely just to be certain that there's no chance it isn't the problem, disabled or not. If it isn't, reinstalling it is no biggie.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    If you are trying to run them in Quick Time X then have a look in Applications/Utilities and open Quick Time 7 - they will probably run in that OK

Hi again.
    Thanks for your replies.

Uninstalled GlimmerBlocker but it didn't help.

Don't quite understand how to open the Youtube videos in QT. Used "Open URL" and pasted the adress, but that didn't work.

Maybe I should just uninstall and reinstall Safari.
    Any other ideas?

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Forget the QT comment - i did not read your post correctly. How did u uninstall GlimmerBlocker?
    You could try installing this to see if it helps.

Thread Information