New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Postbox Data File

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I have been playing around with Postbox and I really like its interface and its features.
I found out that Postbox uses a single file* to store all of the emails for a particular account and my dad told me that he dislikes email applications that store all of their data in one huge file because if something happens to that database all of your email could be gone forever. And that backup applications like Time Machine take longer to backup that file because it always has to backup the whole file when something changes.

How likely is it that a database from Postbox, Thunderbird, etc with 1000's of emails could corrupt?

*For each mailbox/folder

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I use Postbox, so I looked in my Library to see for myself what the database comprises, and I see multiple database files… one for each "box" (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, etc). Why are you under the impression that Postbox stores it all in one single file?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I made a small mistake there, what I meant was for each mailbox/folder it creates one file where all its contents are stored in. So if I have lots of emails in a folder called Friends all the emails would get stored in a file called Friends.
I guess what I want to know is, could one of these database files corrupt and loose all of those emails.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
I made a small mistake there, what I meant was for each mailbox/folder it creates one file where all its contents are stored in. So if I have lots of emails in a folder called Friends all the emails would get stored in a file called Friends.
I guess what I want to know is, could one of these database files corrupt and loose all of those emails.
Well that's always a possibility. But as far as I know, all email clients store all messages for each box in a single database just like Postbox is. I've certainly never seen it any different for any email client I've used over the years. I can't even begin to imagine the immense file clutter of having a single file for each individual email message.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've been using Thunderbird since before it hit version 1.0 and I have been using the same database for about 6 years now. It has been through two version changes and a hop from Windows to Mac in that time, and nothing has gone wrong with it. However, I still kept regular manual backups just in case anything went wrong. I backup the entire profile, which currently stands at around 3GB, so it takes a little under 5 minutes to backup. Time Machine backs up files as they are updated, so I imagine it would take even less time for Time Machine to make backups.

Long story short, there's nothing wrong with the way programs like Thunderbird and Postbox store their emails. Plus, if you combine them with IMAP email services, even if something does go wrong, it's a simple matter of just downloading all the emails again from the server.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Thank you all, that's what I wanted to know.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GeekTool Refresh time | BackUp using iDisk »