New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Quick (hopefully) Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ketchup

Ketchup is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new here and also new to the Mac World as a whole, having just purchased my first Mac in the form of a new Macbook Pro. I have a question about what software to pick up with it:

As far as I can see, there are two main options in terms of office software; Office for Mac 2008 or iWork 09. Basically my question is which one is best for me? My situation is thus: I'm just about to embar on a History degree at Uni but most likely won't be using spreadsheets at all and presentations only very rarely. Basically I need a nice word processor that is compatible with Word files from a Windows/Microsoft computer. Which one do I buy?

Thanks for reading.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Before purchasing anything, try downloading Neo Office and OpenOffice. Both are free and nearly identical to MS Office. You can read and edit all MS Word and Excel files and save your work as Word or Excel files (also has a power point equivalent but I've never used it so can't comment).
Especially since you won't be using all the features of iWork or MS Office for Mac.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I have not had any problems with Pages opening any Word documents I have tried. You may also want to look at Open Office and Neo Office as well. Both are Office compatible products and the upside is that they are both free.
QUOTE Thanks
Ketchup

Ketchup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Before purchasing anything, try downloading Neo Office and OpenOffice. Both are free and nearly identical to MS Office. You can read and edit all MS Word and Excel files and save your work as Word or Excel files (also has a power point equivalent but I've never used it so can't comment).
Especially since you won't be using all the features of iWork or MS Office for Mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
I have not had any problems with Pages opening any Word documents I have tried. You may also want to look at Open Office and Neo Office as well. Both are Office compatible products and the upside is that they are both free.
Thanks guys, I may try out these free options then. Any word on which, out of OpenOffice and NeoOffice, is the better suite?

P.S "Pages" is from iWork 09 isn't it??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Thanks guys, I may try out these free options then. Any word on which, out of OpenOffice and NeoOffice, is the better suite?

P.S "Pages" is from iWork 09 isn't it??
My personal preference is for Open Office. It seems to be a more polished version and a bit faster than NeoOffice.

Yes, Pages is the WP application of the iWork09 suite.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

Neo Office is a macified version of Open Office, previously it was much better for mac users that the original, however the latest version of Open Office looks much better on the Mac than it used to and that is what I would use.

One quick tip for Open Office, change the default save formats to the Microsoft Office formats if you regularly exchange documents with Windows users, it is much easier to just have them in a usable format than having to resave them every time you want to send them to someone.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

As a new user i would say you will have less set up and fix up sessions with iWork which in Pages has Word Processor and Page Layout for basic desktop publishing type work. Not only that you can save as in word or export in Pages formats below.

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« search for identical images - iphoto & aperature 2 | msn »