New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

ITunes from External HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brazim01

brazim01 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I have a music folder containing around 50gb of music. I would like to access this from a previously unused ITunes application on a machine running snow leopard but have no idea where to start. I do not want to move the folder onto the machine running ITunes, I merely want to access the music from the External Drive.

I would be very grateful if anybody could provide a step by step.

The external drive is usb.

Thanks in advance guys...
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Hi there,

I recently had the same issue, and here's how I solved it.

First, make sure the USB-drive is connected.

If you hold down the option key while clicking the iTunes button, a menu will open. This menu will allow you to Select or Create a library.

I basically used this option to create a new iTunes library on the external disc (just browse to the location). And I enabled the iTunes options "keep iTunes media folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" under iTunes preferences -> advanced.

Also note that you can set the location of your music folder here. This also means that the first step of creating a new library is not strictly necessary (you can just change the location of the media folder in the preferences), but this step ensures that iTunes will not mark songs as "unavailable" if you forget to plug in your USB drive before launching iTunes.

The downside of moving your library file to the external drive, is that iTunes will not launch if the external drive is not connected. (Instead, it will say that the library cannot be found, and the same menu -asking you whether you want to select or create another library- will open.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Here is a great read about a lot of of itunes library related stuff including keeping it on an an ex-hdd :

Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

Hope it helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
brazim01

brazim01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Guys, very helpful and I seem to have things up and running now.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Kaham is right about needing to make sure that the external drive is connected. My solution was to create a little Automator application that checks for the external drive and then launches iTunes. I haven't used it since I moved my Music to a Time Capsule. I could cobble it back together if need be.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Why not just leave the location of the "iTunes Library" alone in the default location, uncheck the option to copy music to the Library, then just drag/drop your music off the external drive into iTunes? Then you won't have to worry about that drive being connected.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Why not just leave the location of the "iTunes Library" alone in the default location, uncheck the option to copy music to the Library, then just drag/drop your music off the external drive into iTunes? Then you won't have to worry about that drive being connected.
Well the issue I found there, is that when you do forget to connect the drive (happens to me on a daily basis *cough*) and start playing your entire library on shuffle, some songs will get marked with a (!) in front, because they are not found (obviously). Its been a pain to fix all those 'broken' links after plugging in the HDD, because you would then have to manually click all songs (the random shuffle function will then by default skip them until you make iTunes realize manually that these aren't broken any more).

So unless you can provide me with a neat solution to prevent these broken links from happening, this is what I deem to be the best method.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaham View Post
Well the issue I found there, is that when you do forget to connect the drive (happens to me on a daily basis *cough*) and start playing your entire library on shuffle, some songs will get marked with a (!) in front, because they are not found (obviously). Its been a pain to fix all those 'broken' links after plugging in the HDD, because you would then have to manually click all songs (the random shuffle function will then by default skip them until you make iTunes realize manually that these aren't broken any more).

So unless you can provide me with a neat solution to prevent these broken links from happening, this is what I deem to be the best method.
Nope… no neat solutions off-hand here. It sounds like this is the best one to me. In fact, I'm filing it away for future reference.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Warcraft 3 install problems | Quicktime and HD Videos »