New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Will Windows-only printer work on Mac via Fusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikethebook

Mikethebook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM

I have an HP Laserjet Printer 1018 which does not have any Mac drivers but I can't afford to replace it just now. So, if I need to print, I have the tedious job of booting out of Snow Leopard into Bootcamp and XP. I have free access to VMWare Fusion 2 (legally) and my question is whether the printer will run via XP on Fusion if it has no Mac drivers and, if so, how that would be accomplished.

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

do you have the drivers for the printer still ? it'll work with vmware fusion just like everything else

EDIT: if you have some time to kill you can try this as well - http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL.osx (this is the method used to get your printer to work on OSX)
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

It doesn't appear to work even using up to date drivers and I'm wondering if printers still have to be Mac compatible to be usable within Fusion.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The driver DRMac recommended should have worked. It specifically states that it's for the 1018. However, I suspect you have not gone through all the necessary steps to get the foomatic to work. Go to the following web site and read up on what you need to download. You need more than just that driver.

LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Thanks but I really don't want to mess with the complexity of trying to get the printer to work within Snow Leopard. I would just be happy if it worked in Fusion but it doesn't and I would like to know how.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The 1018 may work in Fusion if you first install the VMWare guest tools. I'm not sure if it has to be Mac compatible or not. I do remember when I ran Fusion 2 the guest tools drivers for video, sound, hard drive, airport, seemed to work without a problem. My HP 1012 worked OK from Fusion but it also worked from OS X since it had drivers. (I used the same drivers I recommended to you.) I have since removed Fusion 2 and now run Windows 7 from Boot Camp.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is your favorite (FREE) sync program, outside of Time Machine ? | Restoring a Virtual Machine on Fusion »