New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Freeware Cleanup App. ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhillT

PhillT is on a distinguished road

Is there a decent freeware / shareware app. that will find the files left behind by previously un-installed apps?
I know I have a lot of these files on my HDD from when I first started on Mac and was unsure, so chose the "Leave files" option when un-installing
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

There are some that do the uninstall but not sure any will find left over bits. How would you tell the App which bits to look for if the majority of it is already gone.
You could always reinstall the ones that you know have been deleted and then use AppCleaner to remove it all.
QUOTE Thanks
PhillT

I use AppCleaner now, but was hoping there was something that would find files that are no longer associated with the application any more, and present then for assessment and deletion at user discretion.

I seem to remember something like that for Windoze, but may not even be feasible on OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

How well do you remember the apps you've deleted, or the file names that were associated with them?

If you can recall details, use Cmd-F from desktop, and type in the name of the deleted application. Cmd-F (which, in fact, is Finder) will reveal what's left behind. You can use the usual Cmd-Delete to send file to the Trash.

Another option is FileBuddy SkyTag Software, makers of File Buddy which digs out all sorts of app associations - amazing!

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
PhillT

I'll try FileBuddy, cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading to intelmac | Sound channel app »