New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

safari, facebook, and gmail...the epic saga

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarksIncredible

MarksIncredible is on a distinguished road

ok, I'm a new mac user. I love everything about my mac. correction: LOVED. I can't login to facebook or gmail. Facebook will go to the login screen, and as soon as I put in my username and password.... nothing, after a while it will come to a screen w/ this error message: "Safari can’t open the page “https://login.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding." I have searched the forums and have yet to come to a solution. I've tried turning off the firewall to no avail, I've tried Firefox...same song and dance. I haven't done anything w/ the proxy settings because I don't really understand what I'm doing/changing in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
apsyhn

apsyhn is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to recreate the problem and haven't been able to. So I all I can do is say what I would try.

The first thing would be to simply delete the cache and cookies and history and all that. If you're still getting the message, get rid of your current Safari and Firefox, making sure to delete the current preferences as well, and reinstall them.

Obviously you're able to log in to these forums. Have you come across ANY other similar problems?
QUOTE Thanks
MarksIncredible

Thanks for the reply. I can't figure out how to uninstall Safari. I've tried deleting cache and everything and it didn't work. I've tried "Resetting" safari and that didn't work either. I downloaded Firefox AFTER the problem started, but I just tried uninstalling and re-installing still doesn't work. I've also downloaded Opera (which is a great browser btw) and it doesn't work either. Yea, I'm having problems w/ the Gmail website as well, I can't even get to the login screen. I used my Droid to get the confirmation email from this forum lol
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Since you are seeing this problem in all of your browsers, the problem quite obviously is not the browser, nor the cache/history/cookies. My most immediate guess would be something related to the handling of "https" specifically. It could be some internet plug-in, your router, or your ISP.

You say you can use your Droid with gmail? Are you using your home network or your cellular network?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MarksIncredible

I don't know how that's possible, I'm using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. So it's through the same network as my phone is and my phone can access both sites w/ no problem. I got my macbook pro about a month ago and it's been working great using my phone as modem, now all of a sudden it's stopped. mind boggling.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksIncredible View Post
I don't know how that's possible, I'm using my phone as a modem to connect to the internet. So it's through the same network as my phone is and my phone can access both sites w/ no problem. I got my macbook pro about a month ago and it's been working great using my phone as modem, now all of a sudden it's stopped. mind boggling.
Take your MacBook to some place with free wi-fi or to a friend's house. If you have no issues there, then the problem has something to do with either your cellphone (the device itself or the tethering software in use) or your cellular provider.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Facebook is having issues today and Google wasn't responding for me either a bit earlier. Something is going on...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dragon Age: Origins on GeForce 320m | Audio/Music Recording software? »