New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

X11 and Matlab

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Michaelangelo

I have a 12 inch Powerbook with Panther, and I'm ever so happy with it. However, I have a copy of Matlab (which I've ever so cleverly called Maclab...) and I can't get things to work properly.

The installation prompts tell me to install X11 off the OSX CD. So I put it in and installed all the extra packages, which I thought contained X11. But when I looked in applications/utilities (where I was told it should be), it's not there. So I opened the X11SPK package on the cd and it again seemed to install fine, yet I get the same result.

When I try to open Maclab, the icon in the dock just bounces up and down for a minute or so, then does nothing.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Did you find the X11 application in the application folder? also what version of the OS are you running?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Michaelangelo

Crisis averted. I found the proper X11 download on the Apple site. All working fine now.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Happy to see to you resolved the problem.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo
Crisis averted. I found the proper X11 download on the Apple site. All working fine now.
I need this too. Could you please post a link to the X11 download from Apple's site. I cannot seem to find it.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I found this version X11 for Mac OS X 1.0 on the Apple site.

QUOTE Thanks
royz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Did you find the X11 application in the application folder? also what version of the OS are you running?
Hi, I also have the same problem, the icon bounces in the dock then disappeared, while X11 icon appeared in the dock. I am using OSX 10.4 Tiger with Matlab 7.0.1 Student Edition. I have X11 in the Utilities folder. Anyone can help?
QUOTE Thanks
cwolf

cwolf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by royz86 View Post
Hi, I also have the same problem, the icon bounces in the dock then disappeared, while X11 icon appeared in the dock. I am using OSX 10.4 Tiger with Matlab 7.0.1 Student Edition. I have X11 in the Utilities folder. Anyone can help?
I am also using OSX 10.4 Tiger and am trying to run Matlab R2006b from Mathworks. I downloaded the X11SDK.pkg from the installer disk that came with the MAC. It said the software installed successfully but X11 does not show up in the Applications/Utilities folder. When I try to download Matlab it says it cant find X11 and it is necessary for Matlab to run. Is there another package perhaps that I should be downloading off the installer disk that will install X11 properly? Seems like X11SDK should be the one and it says it was installed, even tried it a 2nd time and it installed succesfully again. If someone knows a site where I could download the correct X11 for matlab to run successfully, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day cwolf & welcome to Mac-Forums.

This is where X11 resides on the install disc:

Mac OS X Install Disc 1>System>Installation>Packages>X11User.pkg

Or see post #6 ^^^^
QUOTE Thanks
cwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
G'day cwolf & welcome to Mac-Forums.

This is where X11 resides on the install disc:

Mac OS X Install Disc 1>System>Installation>Packages>X11User.pkg

Or see post #6 ^^^^
Thanks Pulse for your reply. I am still in a bit of a quandary though. The only X11 package that resides on the install disc I recieved with the MacBook Pro was X11SDK.pkg, which appears to have installed properly. In regards to rmans Post #6: which gave a link to a X11 version on the Apple site, I had already tried downloading that version but in the end it told me that I already had a newer version of X11 installed on my computer. This makes sense since I had downloaded the X11SDK.pkg already and it said it was properly installed. Its perplexing because by most accounts I have X11 installed but it is not showing up in utilities and when I try to download Matlab it says it cant find it. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, cwolf!

From Matlab's webpage, the system requirements don't list any Intel-based Macs in the list. Unless Matlab can run under Rosetta, the only alternative you have could be to wait a Universal Binary version of the app.

Edited to add:

According to Matlab FAQ, you need specific versions of Matlab to run on your MacBook Pro and that is a beta version. Is this the one you are using now?
QUOTE Thanks
cwolf

Thanks for the help guys. Due to my own lack of thoroughness, I missed the correct X11 pkg on the install disk. I hadnt scrolled down to the bottom folders, so I did find X11usr.pkg on the install disk. I installed it, I did get X11 in utitlites and Matlab appears to have installed properly. I was given the matlab install disks by someone in our group and I assume it was the beta version, but I will double check on that. I assume that since the install went smoothly that it is compatible. Now I will just have to get up to speed on matlab and start using it. Thanks again all.
Carl
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Glad it now works for you! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone using OpenOffice? Need help! | New Mac Pro is slow, apps crash »