Simple website building software?
    Hi, I'm looking for recommendations of simple (preferably free, or very cheap) software for making simple webpages. I'm a TA and all I'm trying to do is make a webpage for a course, with links to a bunch of pdfs and stuff like that. I've successfully done it, but my method is very tedious-- I am writing the html directly into textedit, and I'm having trouble with little things like whenever I close a .txt file and open it again it opens as a webpage display instead of showing me the source code, even though I specifically chose to make the file plain text when I created it. So I have to keep recovering the source code from the internet. It works, but its very annoying.

What I'm looking for is some program that will allow me to organize a bunch of files in a folder structure, and help me easily make links to each one on the page, as well as doing some basic formatting of the webpage. (I'm running Leopard).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    iWeb seems like the most obvious suggestion. It's part of iLife and bundled with your Mac.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Tecumseh, Ontario
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    If you want to focus more on coding the webpage rather than designing it, give TextWrangler a spin. It's a free app that is basically like text edit, but specifically for writing code for a variety of languages. Just choose html in the preferences and it will colour the code so that it becomes more readable. It is a lot easier to organize your webpages and your code in progress.

Bare Bones Software | Download TextWrangler

Hope this helps

Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    iWeb -- already on your Mac. Basic but very elegant and couldn't be easier. Have a look at the tutorials.

Rapidweaver -- $40, very quick and again nice-looking web pages, more advanced that iWeb but very easy to use. Lots of add-ons for extra $$.

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    I've always liked Netscape 6 (not 7 or 8). The built in Web page building capabilites are simple, easy and basic. You can still find it on the web.

Thread Information