Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    German Translation Tool
    I'm trying to help a friend who is translating German text into English. We have tried the Google Translator, but it becomes confused with certain German words, phrases and letter symbols, producing odd results.

To try and make the translation process more efficient, we have scanned pages of the book using a Canon scanner in Optical Character Recognition (OCR) mode.

The scan itself is successful, but the recognition isn't. Omnipage SE simply doesn't recognise certain German letters, eg. letters with the umlaut above them, like ӓ, ё etc, also the letter j. Interpretation of those letters produces some strange text.

There is probably some sort of language translation tool that one can add to applications like Omnipage, that will overcome the recognition glitch. Does anyone know of such a tool?
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Yes, she's called Frau Bauer, and costs £10 a night.

Seriously though, no, because of the umlauts etc, most translation tools really struggle.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Translation tools are only going to take you so far. At some point, you need an actual bilingual proofreader to look over your work.

Thread Information