New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

office full version?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justin1083

wait, so you have to buy office just to be able to use word, etc? is there any way not to pay to use word processing...? thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Well, yes, but we're not allowed to discuss it here

Try this:
http://www.openoffice.org/
QUOTE Thanks
iMe

Well that sucks...How are they selling ibooks, and powerbooks to students when it doesnt offer word, excel, etc. I thougt Apple had their own program built in.
QUOTE Thanks
ethea

Yeah office sucks if you have to buy it. But my iMac came with Keynote and Pages, which is the equivelant, no? Sorry I am 2 weeks into my new mac after a 8 year window where I was stuck on a PC...so still feelng my way around.

Also, what about Nimbus writer?
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

You can do one of two things:
1) Download a copy of Open Office for Mac OSX here:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/oo...downloads.html
2) Use AppleWorks, included with most Mac purchases. I've used AppleWorks to translate Word files with perfect translation. It's a good program.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If you are using it for non-commercial purposes you can buy the 'Student and Teacher Edition' of Office for $150, thats not so bad.
QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

amendolair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D

I bought the student version of Office for Mac...$150. It comes with 3 serial #'s, so you can install it three times. So I sold 2 installs to other students with macs, and so office ended up costing me $50. Not bad in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendolair
I bought the student version of Office for Mac...$150. It comes with 3 serial #'s, so you can install it three times. So I sold 2 installs to other students with macs, and so office ended up costing me $50. Not bad in my opinion.

technically that would be illegal, i dont care i just suggest that you dont post that here, but anyways yes macs nowadays ship with appleworks or pages or something to that effect, which is a word processor. I love Office for mac, i use entourage for my email program and I love excel. The student and teacher edition is a bargain.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Quite an interesting one that... technically it's probably "more illegal" because rather than just downloading, you're distributing. OTOH, downloading they wouldn't get a penny but here at least they got something. Morally better and legally worse?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Depending on the school you attend, you may get a better discount. In my case I was able to get a full M$ office license for $20. The license was only valid while I was in school.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

I use NeoOffice/J without any problems so far. You can get it from the openoffice.org website as it is based on OOo but uses carbon to be more "Mac-like". Both OOo and NeoOffice let you work on MS Office formats.
QUOTE Thanks
ciaran.mooney

How would distributing 3 licenses be illegal? You have paid for the extra license, or its included in the price. It becomes yours doesnt it? To do with what you wish.

You are not making a profit has you still $50 out of pocket. Its not like you sold the other two licenses for $100 and come out $50 up!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

It doesn't become yours, they basically allow you to hire the software under their terms, which are set out in the EULA...

Quote:
1.1 Installation and use. You may install a copy of the Software on three personal computers or other devices in
your household for non-commercial use by people who reside in your household.
So technically, unless the other 2 Mac users were sharing a flat with you or something, it would actually be in voilation of the EULA (and therefore illegal)

IANAL and IA-not on a high horse (I've done far more dodgy things with software!) but if you want to know whether that's legal or not... answer is no Always read your EULA, they're usually very restrictive especially from Microsoft.
QUOTE Thanks
fco1922

It is illegal because the license you purchased was for our own use (you are given three licensses in case you should need to reload your software after a crash or should you somehow corrupt your operating system). You are in effect "reselling" software which is a major no-no under US federal law and EU law. My advice: do not post anything of this nature. It's like putting up a sign and saying "come get me"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran.mooney
How would distributing 3 licenses be illegal? You have paid for the extra license, or its included in the price. It becomes yours doesnt it? To do with what you wish.

You are not making a profit has you still $50 out of pocket. Its not like you sold the other two licenses for $100 and come out $50 up!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Even that's not correct. If you corrupt your OS, you're well within your right to reinstall the software as many times as you need to. That's been well established as "must" ever sinice Windows was invented

This is saying you can run it for your own use on 3 computers (let's say 1 at home, 1 at uni and 1 laptop). But they must be *your* computers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto no longer works... | GPS Navigation? »