New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help! Word 2008 is ruining my life.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

limelight029

limelight029 is on a distinguished road

I have tried every trick in the book, read every forum, I'm screwed. I'm in law school and need my paper to fit these dimensions: Courier New, Font Size 12, Double Space, 24 lines per page. I've put these settings in every way possible, using every trick provided, but when I still only have 18 lines a page and when I print it, it looks triple spaced instead of double space.

Is this what I'm stuck with? Is the problem because I wrote it in Notebook? Am I doing something wrong? I really need help. THanks all!
QUOTE Thanks
ziggo

ziggo will become famous soon enough

I just tried your settings in word 2008, works fine with me but I get 26 lines with double spacing. So I changed the margins a bit (in the toolbox) and I've got 24 lines now. Use the attachement as a template.
I wrote it in print layout btw, maybe that influences the behaviour.
Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Courier New 12pt double spacing.doc (35.5 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

Hope the ziggo template fixes it for you...

Well worth going here Word:mac - Bend Word To Your Will

Download the document (free) and browse/use it to better understand how Word works....there's so many settings and so forth it's difficult to know where/how to gte things setup how you want (things like paragraph spacings etc, templates , toolbars etc). It's a really, really useful (and long....) document that's well worth having handy.

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight029 View Post
... it looks triple spaced instead of double space.

Is this what I'm stuck with? Is the problem because I wrote it in Notebook? Am I doing something wrong? I really need help. THanks all!
Check Format > Paragraph > Spacing > Before/After
Are they set to zero? If not, Word is automatically adding space for each line.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

word for mac is real slow on my MBP (2.2/2GB)... is it typical resource hog or I just need to reinstall?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

It's not slowing things down for me.
Office 2004
OS 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
limelight029

limelight029 is on a distinguished road

Problem Solved! I think. I typed and formatted the document in Notebook Layout. I think the problem was related to the distance of the rule lines. Thanks for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

You could always just not use Word and use something else. There are many high-quality apps for "word processing" available for the Macintosh. Most of them won't even cost you a dime.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
You could always just not use Word and use something else. There are many high-quality apps for "word processing" available for the Macintosh. Most of them won't even cost you a dime.
Perhaps but you get what you pay for and Office is the best.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
I agree with harry. While there are many WP apps for the Mac including the very good "Pages" (part of iWork suite) none come up to par with MS Word. An opinion of course, but let's not forget MS has been publishing Word for the Mac long before they were for Windows.....

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

I... um... I don't know. After 5.1 they kinda lost their touch. I don't care much for versions after that. Never liked the toolbar thing.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoffreyS

GeoffreyS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2

Maybe a good time to slip onto this thread - I'm beginning to find Word 2008 really buggy - Toolbars never appear by default at the top of a document window (even when the menu shows them as selected.) I need to de-select, then select Formatting or Standard or Reviewing, in order for them to show. Then they come up in an incomplete way. Quite frequently the whole programme crashes when working with the toolbars. This is not good

Also trying to use the (very poorly supported and explained) Master document & sub-document Feature. Took me an evening to figure out that having changes tracked in a sub document conflicts with the locking feature of the master document - but the error message rather unhelpfully only tells you that the subdocuments are locked in different ways. How useful is that??

Any comments from anyone? I have a publishers book deadline on Wednesday...
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

This helps to illustrate my point. You get what you pay for, eh? You are soooo paying for poorly-written dialogs, dodgy coding, half-implemented features, and well... ah... a whole lot of bloat in rather useless features such as this. Master and sub-document? Is this REALLY better? Someone still has to go back and proofread and edit it all together.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
let's not forget MS has been publishing Word for the Mac long before they were for Windows....
I would have thought the opposite! :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyS View Post
Any comments from anyone? I have a publishers book deadline on Wednesday...
Yeah, but won't help you. I see more problems on forums with 2008 than 2004 but that might be because most people "upgraded". Office 2010 is supposed to be on the horizon. Maybe it will be better. Word is still the "cadillac" of word processors. But, that also means it can do a bunch of stuff that I'll never need.
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

Get that Bend Word to yoru will document - it points out that the Master document route is NOT the way to go.... is to be avoided.

Coops
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail address | Problems with using my HP Photosmart C3180 »