New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Installer doesn't let me install a previous version of a program

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stinktank

stinktank is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 2009, OS X 10.6.2

I tried the latest version of a program. I wasn't really too keen on the new stuff, so I decided to reinstall an older version. I used CleanApp to get rid of the latest version. Now that I try to install the older version again, Installer tells me that the program cannot be installed, because a later version of it already exists. Clearly this is not the case as Clean App can't find anything related to the program, and nor can Finder. Any insight is truly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The only assistance anyone is going to be able to provide without the name of the app is to recommend you go to the developer's site and/or try google to find out how to totally uninstall the app.

(The developer's site may be the best suggestion even with the name of the app.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
stinktank

Sorry-- I thought the name of the application was irrelevant. It's called Audiofinder, and here's what the develop's site had to say about uninstalling it:

Iced Audio • View topic - How to uninstall AudioFinder?

I did all that, and like I said, nothing at all comes up in Finder when I search for audiofinder.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You might want to also look in:

MacIntosh HD / Library / Application Support

If it's not there and since this is a $70 app, unless someone just comes along that happens to use that app here, you will probably be better off asking in their forums.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
stinktank

Thanks, and you're right about asking on their forums. I just thought that maybe a thing like this could be a "general" issue with a universally applicable solution.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You can try looking in /Library/Receipts and see if it left a receipt there.
If so try deleting it, or moving it.
QUOTE Thanks
stinktank

Thanks, cradom! Receipts was indeed one of the places which had some information about the program. I didn't know that Spotlight doesn't search your system files (new mac user-related) and thus I found a couple things related to the application that I needed to delete.

This made me think about CleanApp, though, and its alleged thoroughness!?
QUOTE Thanks
Soundseekers

Soundseekers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro QuadCore i7 2.2, 4Gb Ram, 750Gb 5400 HDD

After removing all the program files you should run the command in Terminal:
sudo pkgutil –forget com.namecompany.programname

com.namecompany.programname - file name preferences in /Volume/Library/Preferences

For example, to remove the program AudioFinder and install an older version:
sudo pkgutil –forget com.icedaudio.audiofinder
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbird Inbox Problem | Logic Express 9 »