New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Does the iMac load and eject 3 inch discs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tadd5181

tadd5181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X v. 10.6.5

I have had a need of retrieving info off of the old square hard-plastic 3.5 diskettes (remember those?). I bought an external 3.5 inch diskette USB player which plugged into my PC computer. However, the program for the player came on a 3 inch DVD-type disc, not the current 5 inch variety. On the PC, the disc is loaded flat and the disk drawer has a notched circle which is meant to hold the 3 inch discs.

I have now converted to an iMac 21.5 desktop, which of course has a vertical slot drive for DVD's.

I want to load the diskette USB player program onto at least the Windows 7 part of my iMac (loaded via Bootcamp). However, I am concerned about loading the 3 inch program disk into the vertical iMac slot drive. Since the iMac loads in that vertical slot, I am terribly afraid the 3 inch disc will get inside and not "play" and, worse, not be able to be ejected.

Bottom line: can I safely load and eject the 3 inch disc into the iMac slot drive?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Don't do it!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

In short tadd. NO
Here is a link to the same question in Apple Support.

3 Inch Disk in my iMac

Sorry to be the barer of bad news

Maybe there is a device that can be hooked up via USB2 or FireWire that can do the trick

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

Thanks for the warnings.

A possible solution: in my PC which I have not yet shut down, I will copy the 3 inch disc onto a 5 inch one, and then load the latter into the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Nicely thought out and a great solution ...
Thanks for posting back

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadd5181 View Post
Bottom line: can I safely load and eject the 3 inch disc into the iMac slot drive?
As others have already said...no! We have old threads here on MacForums to prove it.

HELP! Stuck CD.

mini cd stuck in drive

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And read what your manual says about not using 3" discs. When all else fails read the instructions?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
I have had a need of retrieving info off of the old square hard-plastic 3.5 diskettes (remember those?).
I want to load the diskette USB player program onto at least the Windows 7 part of my iMac (loaded via Bootcamp).
I don't believe your 3.5 disk player will need the software on that little optical disk - at least as far as MacOS X is concerned. I have an IBM 3.5 disk player which I use for precisely the same reason you've outlined. Just plug it in! The Mac OS will recognise it. Its power demand is low, which suits Mac better.

For the Windows 7 part of what you're trying to do, and as you've already thought out, you should transfer the contents of the optical diskette to a full-sized CD, using your Windows PC.

A PS or afterthought, and a general question in relation to this topic ..... wasn't there at one time an adaptor insert for (horizontal) computer CD trays? The advent of the vertical slot might have messed that idea up, but I remember using an adaptor when mini optical disks first arrived on the scene.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

njharrison1979 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8

Quote:
Thanks for the warnings.

A possible solution: in my PC which I have not yet shut down, I will copy the 3 inch disc onto a 5 inch one, and then load the latter into the iMac.
I was going to suggest that or you could copy it to a usb stick or cant you find a driver on the net?
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

After thinking of a work-around, I did just plug the player in and it worked right off the bat....thanks all. Say, here's another thing I almost did wrong: I was about to slide in a SD memory card without looking and it almost went into the DVD slot. I am assuming had I actually got the card in then it would have disappeared into that maw.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Say, here's another thing I almost did wrong: I was about to slide in a SD memory card without looking and it almost went into the DVD slot.
Yupp...some folks have posted here having done this!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [Need help] can PowerBook G4 run Matlab? Which version? | Automator Workflow query. »