New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

can you rip a mac game to a macbook (pro)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vinnym

vinnym is on a distinguished road

hi,
I want to rip call of duty 4 to my my macbook pro. (meaning i want to save the cd to the hard drive.) this way i dont need to worry about the disc. im new to macs and learning about the every day.
any answers?
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

give toast a try, I've never used it but from what I've heard it is the best at what it does.

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Toast is a good program and it's good for this and other things but there's a free option already on your hard drive. Follow the Leopard directions on this page. There may have been some minor changes for Snow Leopard but i think you'll get the idea. The directions are also in Disk Utility's help files. How To Make Copies of DVDs

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Hi, I asked a question related to this on another thread, but nobody saw it I guess.

I was wondering if it's actually legal to copy a game like Call of Duty 4 even if you own it. Just for your own purposes though, not for copying it and giving it to others.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yes. With Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

You're making an image of the disc and not sharing it. As long as you don't have to fight some ill-conceived DRM to read the disc, it's not against the DMCA.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Unless of course the disc manufacturer has installed blockers to prevent copying the disc. This is the normal practice to prevent folk making copies and distributing them, and I am NOT suggesting you are doing that at all, vinnie.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

what's an ill-concieved DRM exactly? It sounds familiar... Does the game Spore have one? I know you can already play Spore without the disc, but unfortunately the Galactic Adventures add-on requires a disc and I was considering making a disk image of that. I just want to stay legal. I want to respect what the creators of the game want.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tournament organizing software? | iTunes store won't connect »