New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

anything faster than handbrake?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gottcha9

Gottcha9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7

I have used it, and while it works it seems very slow. I am running it on a MBP 2.26 w/4gig and plenty of disk. I don't mind paying for an application if the benefit (speed and ease of use) is there. thx
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

It would help to know what exactly you use Handbrake for as it has several different uses.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

sorry...copying DVD to the Mac
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Do you want a full copy of the DVD (I'm assuming this is going to be a legal copy without any copyrights) including menus, chapters, extras, etc., or do you want a to convert into a video file?

For a full copy, go for Mac The Ripper.

For DVD to video conversion, Visualhub is the only other alternative to Handbrake I can think of off the top of my head. Don't know how it compares in terms of speed though.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

just trying to convert movies that we own, so I can watch them while I travel. I guess for that I don't need any of the extras, just the main movie.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Not sure if it's faster or not, but:

ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV, FLV encoder for Mac OSX

is worth a look at as well. I reckon it's more to do with how much ram you have and processor speed to be honest.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I doubt it's faster, and it has nothing to do with how much RAM and processor speed, Kev. It's more the limit of how fast your computer can read data from a spinning shiny circle inside it. If it were up to the Mac, it'd have that data over a SATA connection and be done with it way quicker. Unfortunately, you've got to get the data from the DVD. Which means.....

Sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Maybe try unchecking the 2 pass encoding box, then it'll be half the time!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Let's just say, uhm... for example, most of Steven Seagal's movies do not have copy protection, and on my Win 7 HTPC I can move 4.5GB from disc to hard drive in 7-8 minutes and 7 GB in 10-12 minutes. No, there is nothing I've seen in OS X that can touch it.

And before this thread goes too far and has to be closed, please read:

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Movies and Video

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
I doubt it's faster, and it has nothing to do with how much RAM and processor speed, Kev. It's more the limit of how fast your computer can read data from a spinning shiny circle inside it. If it were up to the Mac, it'd have that data over a SATA connection and be done with it way quicker. Unfortunately, you've got to get the data from the DVD. Which means.....

Sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Maybe try unchecking the 2 pass encoding box, then it'll be half the time!
Ok cool. Yes didn't think about read times.
Maybe if you drag the pre-encoded files to the HD, and then encode them it would make a difference.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If space is not an issue and you just need to get the movies off the DVDs for traveling, then MakeMKV is the way to go. It doesn't compress the video data or otherwise modify it… just extracts it and puts it in the MKV container. You just need a player that supports the MKV container. VLC and Mplayer OSX Extended both will play them. VLC has a tendency to crash if you try to do things like zip forward, but it better handles some files than Mplayer does.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Ok cool. Yes didn't think about read times.
Maybe if you drag the pre-encoded files to the HD, and then encode them it would make a difference.
Handbrake is actually just about one of the best converters out there, but MPEG2 to h.264 is a slow conversion process, even on very fast machine. Even my 3.2ghz Quad Core PC converts at about 90fps, so a two hour film still takes 20 mins.

Converting to mp4 would be much quicker (although the file size would either be much larger or the quality much lower).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flightstick not compatible? | Perian only works half the time »