New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Internet - Windows Media Player for Mac problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derm318

I subscribe to a streaming audio program that requires that I use Windows Media Player on my Mac. I have the latest version installed. When I open the audio program, WMP buffers it and starts to play. Unfortunately, there is no sound coming through the system. I get perfect sound when I use iTunes, so it is not a sound system problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

what are your macs specs? what os are you running and what browser are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
derm318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
what are your macs specs? what os are you running and what browser are you using?
I have a Mac Mini with Panther installed. I use the Safari browser. I subscribe to Music From the Hearts of Space, which requires that this browser be used for streaming the audio.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

With any issues, always run repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
QUOTE Thanks
derm318

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
With any issues, always run repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
I have just run disc repair and there still is no sound when WMP runs. This is true even when I play the sample track that comes with WMP. Clearly it is a WMP issue. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Seems like a bad copy of the player. I suggest replacing it. After doing that - - repair permissions for best results
QUOTE Thanks
derm318

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Seems like a bad copy of the player. I suggest replacing it. After doing that - - repair permissions for best results
I have just replaced the old WMP with a new version. I still do not have sound. Is there something other than simply trashing the old application that must be done to completely remove all remnants of the old WMP? If not, is there something about the settings of the computer itself which needs to be corrected?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stupid Firefox doesn't always successfully login with id/password! | OS 9 game (and CD-ROM!) problems »