New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word to Pages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FightingFat

FightingFat is on a distinguished road

Hi there

I have a MacBook Pro which has Microsoft Office:Mac installed and I want to take a document I have been working on from there to my iMac which has Pages but not word. I have tried to do this but when I attempt to open the file I get: "Import error the file format is invalid"

I tried saving the document as a PDF on my MacBook, but then I could only open it as a PDF or a JPEG/ BITMAP on my iMac, and so couldn't continue to work on it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Pages to Word is definitely possible. I don't think the other way works without jumping through some hoops. You can do a SaveAs in Word and select Text Only as the file format. That should open with TextEdit. From there you can Select All and Paste it into a blank Pages file, and SaveAs whatever filename you choose.

The thing is that Word does not give you the option to save in Pages format. But, Pages lets you save in Word formats. Anybody know a better way?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Pages should be able to open both .doc and .docx files. It's not going to open a .xls file.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I'ld reccommend installing Openoffice and using that. But, as an immediate work-around if you open your PDF in Preview you should be able to highlite and select the text and then copy and paste it into Pages. I've done this in the past when I couldn't get an eBook to cooperate with Stanza. Pages can export as a PDF also, as well as Word format.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the OP:

Pages can save to *.DOC and can read *.DOC. Are you saving the Word documents as *.DOCX? I'm not sure Pages can read XML format? Save your Word document in *.RTF or *.DOC and then Pages will be able to open it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

kbalch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB

Just had this problem the other day. All it took was a quick Software Update to the current version of Pages (4.0.3). Fixed!

Ken

www.kenbalch.com
----------------------------------
My project's blog:
1969TriumphT120R.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« flash problems ANY browser | Time machine problem »