Thread: Word to Pages

Word to Pages
    Hi there

I have a MacBook Pro which has Microsoft Office:Mac installed and I want to take a document I have been working on from there to my iMac which has Pages but not word. I have tried to do this but when I attempt to open the file I get: "Import error the file format is invalid"

I tried saving the document as a PDF on my MacBook, but then I could only open it as a PDF or a JPEG/ BITMAP on my iMac, and so couldn't continue to work on it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Pages to Word is definitely possible. I don't think the other way works without jumping through some hoops. You can do a SaveAs in Word and select Text Only as the file format. That should open with TextEdit. From there you can Select All and Paste it into a blank Pages file, and SaveAs whatever filename you choose.

The thing is that Word does not give you the option to save in Pages format. But, Pages lets you save in Word formats. Anybody know a better way?

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Pages should be able to open both .doc and .docx files. It's not going to open a .xls file.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I'ld reccommend installing Openoffice and using that. But, as an immediate work-around if you open your PDF in Preview you should be able to highlite and select the text and then copy and paste it into Pages. I've done this in the past when I couldn't get an eBook to cooperate with Stanza. Pages can export as a PDF also, as well as Word format.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To the OP:

Pages can save to *.DOC and can read *.DOC. Are you saving the Word documents as *.DOCX? I'm not sure Pages can read XML format? Save your Word document in *.RTF or *.DOC and then Pages will be able to open it.

24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
    Just had this problem the other day. All it took was a quick Software Update to the current version of Pages (4.0.3). Fixed!

My project's blog:

Thread Information