New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Uninstalling apps from 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nudger

nudger is on a distinguished road

Hi - I'm a new Mac user and I have a question re: uninstalling apps from Mac OS. I've already read posts about dragging icons in to the trash can but recommending using the uninstaller if the program came with an installer.

I had an Epson printer which I installed using the CD-ROM can came with it. Then I sold the printer with the CD-ROM, not realising that the uninstaller package was on the disc. I used App Zapper to remove anything that had Epson in it's name but there were still some folders in the Applications section which I deleted manually. (I realise this may have been wrong).

The only thing Epson related that I can see in Finder is some files in the Preferences section of the Library in a folder called Epson PIF. There are loads of small Epson files (20-200k) in there with "date modified" in 2007 (i.e 2 years before I got my Mac). They all have the file suffix .fd2.

Does anyone know if these are important or can be deleted safely? Yes I know I should have used the Uninstaller from the CD now.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

i dont see why you couldnt delete them.
but yes next time make sure you use the un-installer
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you're really concerned about the files on your drive, you could always download the drivers from the manufacturer, install them and then use the uninstaller that comes with the download. Install them first as the uninstaller may not work properly if certain files aren't present.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
nudger

nudger is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot - I will try as you suggest.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Front Row Frustration | How to make an external drive »