New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Handbrake time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gottcha9

Gottcha9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7

What is the relationship between the length of a movie and the time it takes to convert it? thx
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The longer a movie, the longer it takes to convert. Somehow I get the feeling that doesn't answer your question though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

your very perceptive<G> if the movie is 2 hours long does it take the same time to convert it?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on various things including the speed of your machine, quality, etc. Could you be a little more specific?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

If my memory serves me right, it's something like a 3:1 ratio. It's dependent also on your Mac processor, how much RAM you have, and how much free disk space (as a cache).

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

I have a 2.26 processor with 4gig of memory and around 70gig of free disk space. what else do you need to know? thx
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Heaps of what's essential, so look to that 3:1 thing, but it's variable. You may find it works at 2:1. I don't think you'll get 1:1, but H'brake itself offers advice in that regard. Do some searching.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Source of material? Quality of encoding?

Perhaps your best bet would just be to do it.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

I am doing it, but it seems to be very slow. I use a product on the MS side called Cucusoft, and I was just trying to see how they compared.
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

i would set it to convert before bed and it will be done when you wake up.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What are you encoding? If it's a huge video, it's going to take a long time.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Gottcha9

not what I was wanting to hear, but I think that is probably a good idea. thx
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Well it definitely depends. On my old G4 iMac it took literally days (30:1 ratio), but when I got my brand new MacBook Pro with 4GB of Memory and 2.26GHz (same as you!) running Snow Leopard it goes at about a 2:1 ratio. Yours can't be too much slower.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to make an external drive | which rar expander for 10.3.6 »