New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari - pop-ups & being redirected

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maxy

Maxy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,

Hi,

Over past few days two things have happened when I use safari

i. I am receiving a pop-up window for anti-virus software

ii. i do a search for soemthing but keep getting redirected to a page other than i searched.

I was thinking of trashing safari and using firefox to download another safari - what are your thoughts??

Thanks for any suggestions.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you downloaded any anti virus apps recently, or installed any software off the internet

Sounds like you are getting a DNS redirect (links being hijacked and taking your computer to somewhere you dont want to be)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

First click on the Safari Menu up top and Empty Cache. If that does not fix it try a Reset Safari from the same menu. Let us know what happens. Sounds like you went to a site that redirected you to one of those fake Windows YOU HAVE A VIRUS sites!
QUOTE Thanks
Maxy

Maxy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,

I emptied the cashe and did the reset and it still occurred. then reading louishen's post i remembered that i operate vmware, vista and had downloaded Avast. I went into vista and sure enough there was a message saying the antivirus avast software had expired (which is weird as I thought it was free). Anyway i uninstalled avast and have gone back into safari and no more pop-ups. That means that the message from vista /vmware has transported to mac/safari. there must be some interconnection/

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a good system tester for game performance for Mac OS X? | Which Back-Up & Sync Program Works The Best? »