New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft office 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

This is about the student and home edition. Does anyone have any big problems with this for it not working? The reviews on the apple site is 2 and a half stars. I am a student and I just use office for the main products, word, excel, and powerpoint. That is really it. But I am just concered about buying it since the reviews suck. So does it do what i need it to do well? I dont really need entourage, I really have no idea what that is.

So does it work well for you? Does it have any problems?

QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Works fine for me. There's a little learning curve on each of the program interfaces, but nothing major. I run it on both Powerbooks and on the MBP with no problems whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Some users have a real love/hate relationship with Microsoft. The low rating is probably due to some people being upset by the makeover the 2008 version got versus the 2004 version.

You might want to consider switching to iWork, which is $79 from Apple and features Pages (a combination Word Processor and DTP layout app that's highly MS Word compatible), Keynote (blows the doors off PowerPoint) and Numbers (a very radical rethink of spreadsheets -- hard for Excel users to "get into" and doesn't have all the features of Excel, but if you learn it you will make spreadsheets that will make grown Excel users weep with jealousy).

Or, just buy MS Office 2008. From everything I've seen, it seems like a perfectly adequate product; it just carries a lot of "user baggage."

Do note that coming later this year is an all-new version of Office that promises some substantive changes, so if you don't need this immediately you might want to wait till summer.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Works fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypotatos View Post
So does it work well for you? Does it have any problems?
Yes to both. It works well enough. Excel has more problems than Word, and I don't use PowerPoint. The problems are minor frustrations, nothing insurmountable. Office 2010 is supposed to be coming out, but I don't know if a release date has been set.
QUOTE Thanks
TheTGDJ

TheTGDJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

I have had no problems with it so far and everything seems to be working alright. As for the release date of Office 2010 it is this June.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Works just great subject to updating with all MS updates, currently version 12.2.3. Dlo not bother switching to anything else!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

MS Office 2008 works just fine here. Don't know why it received a low review, however, since it's a MS product I can understand why. Lots of MS haters out there....

If you want 100% compatibility with other Office users, then you need Office 2008 or Office 2007 if you're a Windows guy.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgraded to Leopard from tiger, no mail | DVD Ripper for OS X Tiger 10.4.11 »