New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word or Pages word processor?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bbollag

bbollag is on a distinguished road

I have been using NeoOffice (very happy with it; freeware: paid $25 contribution). But it had some formatting problems saving a .docx document I had to work on recently (didn't keep the elements in a table - put them outside; lost numbers of a list .... whether I saved as .docx or .doc).

I've read quite a few complaints about MS Word 2008 for Mac, and would be happy to buy 2009 iWorks, but am concerned about compatibility. I am a freelance journalist/writer, and need to be able to work on a document (especially using Track Changes), and then have a PC user be able to open and work on it without losing the original formatting.

(There is little price difference here, since Amazon sells Microsoft Office: Mac 2008 Home and Student for $110 -- allowing 3 home users to share it, and iWork '09 Family Pack for $81 - allowing 5 home users).

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

I have both and I prefer to use Microsoft word over pages...
I haven't found a huge amount wrong with it!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I bet if you take a CD or DVD to an Apple Store and ask if you can create and burn a file in Pages to test with Word for Windows that they'd be happy to accommodate you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine and Parallels | iPhoto Places Tagging »