New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Computer screen recording application for game

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Catch-22

Catch-22 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for an application to record video of Diablo 2 while I play it full screen (to put on YouTube). I've already tried a few, but they either didn't work or worked too slowly. My question: is there an application that can record while my game is running but still allow my game to run smoothly in full screen? I'd prefer not to pay a lot of money for it, because I don't foresee using it much more than this one time. However, I will pay if that's what it takes to be able to do this.

Granted, I'm not sure if this is even possible on this computer (I'm trying to do this on my MacBook Air). Still, I've gotten one of the newer versions of the MBA that have had a lot of the issues with the initial MBA fixed.

Here are my specs:

MacBook Air running Mac OS X v10.5.8
2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2 GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 9400M Graphics Card

I would think that, with those specs, my MBA could handle something like this, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Thank you for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

umm.... try JING
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

Mercedes1787 is on a distinguished road

screen flow, search it on google

Heres a video by levos pro, it shows how to export in AMAZING quality for youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPUv-4JgY0

24'' Intel iMac, 3.06 GHZ dual core processor, 4 GB ram @ 800mhz, Nvidia 8800 GT graphics card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 500 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 6 MB shared L2 cache.
QUOTE Thanks
Catch-22

Jing didn't work on full screen - my mac got stuck on a black screen when I tried to switch to full screen. By the way, does Jing Pro only record up to 5 minutes? I noticed that the website stated something to that effect.

Screenflow costs 99$, which isn't a sum I'm willing to part with for something like this. I'd be interested to know if it works for something like this, though.

I'm considering recording in windowed mode, as that seems to work with any video recording program. If anybody knows of a program that would work with fullscreen, and preferably be less than 30$, though, I'd very much like to hear about it.

If it helps, a program that should do exactly what I'm looking to do is Hypercam, but Hypercam isn't for Mac. If anybody knows of a Mac equivalent of Hypercam, that might be what I'm looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you were running Snow Leopard, you could use QuickTime X to do this.

The basic problem here though is that ANY screen recorder is going to need to use considerable CPU to write and compress the video file on-the-fly while you are trying to use a CPU-intensive game.
QUOTE Thanks
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you were running Snow Leopard, you could use QuickTime X to do this.
Actually, I'm getting Snow Leopard in a few days. Do you think Quicktime X could be helpful, then? I think I'll try that.

Quote:
The basic problem here though is that ANY screen recorder is going to need to use considerable CPU to write and compress the video file on-the-fly while you are trying to use a CPU-intensive game.
The strange thing is, I can record video well enough in windowed mode (I tried a demo of iShowU); the problems start when I try to switch to full screen while recording. If I even manage to get the game to switch to fullscreen while the recording application is running, it runs very slowly.

According to activity monitor, playing the game full-screen (without recording) doesn't appear to take much more CPU usage than playing in windowed mode (usage does spike during the switch from windowed mode to fullscreen mode, though).
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Why do you need to record fullscreen for YouTube? And the only one I recommend would be ScreenFlow. It was well worth the $100. The quality is immaculate.

Or you could just wait until you get SL, so you can use QuickTime X to record your screen.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
According to activity monitor, playing the game full-screen (without recording) doesn't appear to take much more CPU usage than playing in windowed mode (usage does spike during the switch from windowed mode to fullscreen mode, though).
Yes, but the VIDEO CARD is working a lot harder.
QUOTE Thanks
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Why do you need to record fullscreen for YouTube?
I don't need to record fullscreen. I just find it a lot more tedious to play in windowed mode. I can and probably will do this in windowed mode, but I thought it was worth checking to see if there was anything capable of recording with full screen. I couldn't find anything using google (I searched for at least three hours and tried about 5 different applications), so I thought I'd ask here.

Quote:
Yes, but the VIDEO CARD is working a lot harder.
I didn't think of that. This makes a lot more sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Program to help orgnize photos? Particularly save over duplicates? | MP4 player problems »