New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Squeeze for MacOS 10.6+ any good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vinnymac001

vinnymac001 is on a distinguished road

I got an email about this app called Squeeze that's supposed to compress your files to save hard drive space, but at the same time has no effect on the way the files are read.

It's apparently free at the moment, until it is widely released for USD 9.95.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and thought it was good.

Has anyone here tried it?

Is it safe? Does it work?

lots of questions... but I figured I'd get some info before installing this thing that I just got a random email about.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Well, I don't know enough to tell you if it's safe, but here are some links with more info.

Main website: Squeeze: Seamless File Compression

Website that discusses the new kind of SnowLeopard-Exclusive compression technology that Squeeze uses. 10.6: Compress files with HFS+ compression - Mac OS X Hints

I think the last website may have some real useful information, and at the bottom there's a bunch of comments with people's opinions.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnymac001 View Post
I got an email about this app called Squeeze that's supposed to compress your files to save hard drive space, but at the same time has no effect on the way the files are read.

It's apparently free at the moment, until it is widely released for USD 9.95.

#1 I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and thought it was good.

#2 Has anyone here tried it?

#3 Is it safe? Does it work?

lots of questions... but I figured I'd get some info before installing this thing that I just got a random email about.
#1 & #2 I have it installed on my mac for 1 day now and have not had any problems with it. Is easy to use and isn't in the way.

#3 According to the developer it is safe. It uses the same technique Snow Leopard uses on your applications.
Right now I use it on large folders that don't contain precious data and it has, according to the pref pane, saved me 117 MB of the 1.25GB I dropped on it.
Basically it is your decision what folders to use it on, you don't have to use it on your whole system.
And when in doubt, making a backup will save you lots of headaches when something does go wrong.
Oh, and the Squeeze FAQ has almost all your questions in it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Free Task Manager Application | Convert multiple movies on visual hub »