New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Browsers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mike2fast

Mike2fast is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Just got a new Macbook Pro 13", being new to macs coming from Windows Xp, Vista and 7 as an IT analyst i was wondering what browsers you guys use? Do you stick with Safari or can you use chrome and firefox?

Thanks in advance for any input...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You CAN use pretty much anything you want. I think the Mac platform actually has MANY more good quality browsers than Windows does.

I keep a copy of FF around, but I rarely use it. It seems like its half a browser without TONS of extensions, which of course most people go way overboard on, then of course they release a new version and boom, most of your extensions break, and you wait weeks/months for them all to be fixed. Repeat cycle.

At least for me, the Webkit engine seems better, so I tend to stick with browsers based on it. Safari is IMHO the overall best. Google's Chrome I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot-pole at the present time -- keeping track of EVERYTHING you do on line and requiring a constant update daemon = not cool in my book.

I have been using a "Chrome minus the privacy invasion" offshoot called SBIron that's pretty impressive, though again only half a browser at this point.

I keep trying the others, and keep coming back to Safari. It's fast, it's compliant, its fully developed, its not spying on me. That's kind of what I want in a browser.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree there is a lot of browsers. But for me I stick to 2 main ones. Safari and Firefox. Yes I think Safari is slightly faster of the two. But I much prefer Firefox cause it's very customisable and most extenstions/skins for it are very quickly updated once a new version of Firefox is out. So I use Firefox mostly.

But for the rare odd times Firefix can not handle a webpage I use Safari. But really both are capable browsers. Safari is a touch faster but FF is much more customisable and they do not break as said above. I've used FF for years and not had one break on me. It's much better then the above poster says it is. Really if you pick either of those you'll have a pretty much trouble free experience browsing the internet.

As said above I would steer away from Google Chrome at the moment. It's a good browser. But it's logging everything I do and needing to be constantly updated ot me is a security risk. As in I don't want what I do all over the world. Hence I have not used this browser too much. But if those issues with it go away I'll try it again.

Opera is not that bad either. It's pretty fast. But it's really bare bones. You visit your webpage and no more. Very plain. It works though. But it's not for me.
QUOTE Thanks
leicamaster

leicamaster is on a distinguished road

Camino is my favorite. Its very smooth and feels like Safari without all the crashing. Shiira is another good one. Its a nice browser and is usually my main browser on my desktop. Firefox is good but Camino is better and made also by Mozilla.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Safari is my browser of choice but have to use Firefox to change my Linksys settings - wont Apply changes in Safari for some reason.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Opera is not that bad either. It's pretty fast. But it's really bare bones. You visit your webpage and no more. Very plain. It works though. But it's not for me.
I was going to say quite the opposite. One of the primary complaints of Opera is that it has too many features. In fact, it has pioneered many features that were later adapted by other browsers including speed dial (I think) and I believe it was one of the first browsers to have tabs. It has bookmark and speed dial syncing built-in and Opera Turbo which is great for people with slow connections (it compresses your page and sends you the quality reduced version of that page). Now, it is harder to get plugins - you really have to rely on UserJS for this one (AFAIK).

As you can tell, I like Opera. I use it in conjunction with Firefox but with the new Opera 10.5 beta, I find myself using Opera more and more.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

As has been said before, Firefox will pretty much do whatever you need. The functionality of all the extensions makes browsing so much easier for me than unsing Safari. In my experience, Safari actually seems to load slower than Firefox, especially media content such as Flash pages. But really at the end of the day it comes down to preference. Try Safarai, Firefox, Camino and even Shiira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicamaster View Post
Camino is my favorite. Its very smooth and feels like Safari without all the crashing. Shiira is another good one. Its a nice browser and is usually my main browser on my desktop. Firefox is good but Camino is better and made also by Mozilla.
Speaking of, I haven't used Shiira for years now but really liked it when I did. Is it still updated/supported? It really showed a lot of promise at the time but wasn't fully functional to use on a day to day basis.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
In fact, it has pioneered many features that were later adapted by other browsers including speed dial (I think) and I believe it was one of the first browsers to have tabs.
I feel sorry for Opera, as many features are "stolen" by other web browsers. What's next, Firefox Turbo?

I use Safari & Opera, no Chrome for me as I dislike the UI. FF is a pretty nice browser, I just don't use it often.
QUOTE Thanks
leicamaster

leicamaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Apex View Post
As has been said before, Firefox will pretty much do whatever you need. The functionality of all the extensions makes browsing so much easier for me than unsing Safari. In my experience, Safari actually seems to load slower than Firefox, especially media content such as Flash pages. But really at the end of the day it comes down to preference. Try Safarai, Firefox, Camino and even Shiira.

Speaking of, I haven't used Shiira for years now but really liked it when I did. Is it still updated/supported? It really showed a lot of promise at the time but wasn't fully functional to use on a day to day basis.
Shiira is still supported and is extremely smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I think the Mac platform actually has MANY more good quality browsers than Windows does.
Like what?? lol

Opera is 10x better on Windows, Chrome is also better on Windows...

Safari is still the best browser out for OSX as of right now.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Safari is great
Firefox is my favorite
But am currently giving Chrome a go

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
Opera is 10x better on Windows
I assume you're referring to integration. If so, you would be correct. This is going to change with Opera 10.5 (currently in beta) which has been rewritten with Cocoa so it will act and look more like a native Mac app. Get it here. Remember, that is a beta so don't be surprised if it crashes on you.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I assume you're referring to integration. If so, you would be correct. This is going to change with Opera 10.5 (currently in beta) which has been rewritten with Cocoa so it will act and look more like a native Mac app. Get it here. Remember, that is a beta so don't be surprised if it crashes on you.
I have tried the beta and it is a great improvement over 10.10. It now includes the new multi-touch gestures, but Safari still seems to beat Opera out by a lot in terms of performance. When I scroll down a webpage in Opera, the movement is jagged as if I was using a scrolling wheel on a mouse. I was hoping for smoother scrolling like in Safari, Chrome, FF etc. (smooth scrolling has the same effect as normal scrolling).

On Windows, Opera blows all of the other browsers out of the park in terms of performance, integration, and features. I am still waiting for this to happen in OSX and this next version is one step closer.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The beta is still a little rough around the edges. I've been following development closely and it has progressed nicely. As for the speed, it blows through JS and is now finally comparable to, if not faster than, Safari at JS. Results differ every time but try running the Sunspider JS benchmark for both the Opera beta and Safari and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Integration has come a long way too. Being written in Cocoa has finally made Opera blend in a little as opposed to sticking out like a sore thumb. I do agree with you about the scrolling (and we aren't the only ones either).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicamaster View Post
Shiira is still supported and is extremely smooth.
Okay, so I tried Shiira again after your comment. This is what I got opening it for the first time....

And every time I've tried opening it since.

I'm a little confused though because on Shiira's wiki it says that the latest stable release is 2.3 and was updated 6 days ago, but I can't find 2.3, only 2.2 which was released in 2007. Where do I get the latest version?

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A recommended tagging software? | How do I get the Application folder back on the dock? disappeared from doc »