New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Bootcamp GTA IV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

.Cody

.Cody is on a distinguished road

I have a copy of Windows Vista 32-Bit from my old laptop that I never use. I tried installing it onto my MacBook Pro 17" Unibody a little over half a year ago with the intent to play GTA IV on it, but I couldn't get past the authorization process. It wouldn't let me connect to the internet to verify my Windows. Anyways, I removed Windows altogether from my Mac but I've been wanting to play GTA IV on my MacBook, recently. Anyways I have some questions before I make another attempt:
  • Will my copy of Windows Vista from my old laptop work?
  • After installing Windows using Bootcamp, I have to install all of my drivers using my Mac OS X dvd, correct? I'll then be able to verify my copy of Windows through the internet, right?
QUOTE Thanks
Mercedes1787

Mercedes1787 is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about boot camp, but make sure your mac's specs are higher then the ones required for GTA IV (recommended system requirements)

24'' Intel iMac, 3.06 GHZ dual core processor, 4 GB ram @ 800mhz, Nvidia 8800 GT graphics card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 500 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 6 MB shared L2 cache.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Your copy of Windows from your previous laptop will not work. That copy was tied to that specific machine and the key cannot be used on any other machine. You will have to purchase a retail or OEM for System Builders version of Windows for Boot Camp.

The Boot Camp Assistant provides you with all of the steps for installing Windows on your Mac. Be sure to read the entire thing before starting the process.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
.Cody

.Cody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Your copy of Windows from your previous laptop will not work. That copy was tied to that specific machine and the key cannot be used on any other machine. You will have to purchase a retail or OEM for System Builders version of Windows for Boot Camp.
Oh, well. Well, that's good to know, I'm not shoveling out any more money for Micro$soft. Thanks for the help, this topic can be closed now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Application | New to Mac = help! »