New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

ClickToFlash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac_Daddy

Mac_Daddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram

The other day, I came across a site that had a piece about a little known Safari plugin that lets a user choose when and if to load Flash content. Every comment that was posted was very positive so I decided to give it a try.

All I can say is WOW. Surfing the web without Flash is incredible. No more spikes in CPU/Fan usage when visiting Flash intensive sites. No more annoying, auto-playing trailers and infomercials.

When you visit a site that has Flash content, that content is replaced with the word "Flash". You can either forego the viewing the content or if you wish, click on the graphic and execute it.

I can't believe I haven't heard of this plugin until recently. I've been using a Mac for approx 4 years now and Safari is my default browser. I've just fell in love with Safari all over again.

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Ya its a great plugin . A great number of us use it. And thanx for helping to spread the word .

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ya, we know! It's a great time-saver.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Linky
Download ClickToFlash for Mac - WebKit plug-in prevents automatic loading of Adobe Flash content. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

I just downloaded and installed it, but it's not working. I have it in Home>Library>Internet Plug-Ins>ClickToFlash.webplugin. Is that the right place?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you using Safari? It's Safari only. If you're using Firefox, take a look at FlashBlock.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Daddy

Suggestion: There is a beta version listed on the developer's website. There are a lot of comments on Macupdate about the Beta version acting "funky". Save yourself the trouble and download the stable version instead on the developers site; Macupdate links to the Beta, FYI.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
I just downloaded and installed it, but it's not working. I have it in Home>Library>Internet Plug-Ins> ... Is that the right place?
That's where mine is, and it works.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Well I'm using this version, I think it's the beta like you said. ww.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682?rord=mod%7C%7Ccmodrev=256120:1]Download ClickToFlash for Mac - WebKit plug-in prevents automatic loading of Adobe Flash content. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Can you post a link to the stable version? I'm running Safari on Snow Leopard if it matters.

Edit: Scratch that, I downloaded it off the apple website and it's working fine. Thanks for showing me that was using the beta!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
Well I'm using this version, I think it's the beta like you said. ww.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682?rord=mod%7C%7Ccmodrev=256120:1]Download ClickToFlash for Mac - WebKit plug-in prevents automatic loading of Adobe Flash content. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Can you post a link to the stable version? I'm running Safari on Snow Leopard if it matters.

Edit: Scratch that, I downloaded it off the apple website and it's working fine. Thanks for showing me that was using the beta!
No problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bcanuel

bcanuel is on a distinguished road

Using Safari and just installed ClickToFlash and noted the improved performance of webpages as reported elsewhere on this thread. Looks good.

I've also been a user of AdBlocker though I currently have it disabled...it seemed to make page loading slow for some reason on particular sites. Tried re-enabling it after installing ClickToFlash and noticed that ClickToFlash stopped working...i.e. the pages loaded with what had previously had the 'Flash' message in boxes with whatever the Flash content actually was. Ads, of course, were blocked in the usual way.

Anyone else see this? I'd like to be able to use both if I can though ClickToFlash seems the better alternative at the moment.

Thanx...bob
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The idea that ClickToFlash is "little known" is pretty amusing. I guess everyone thinks they were the first to invent the wheel ...
QUOTE Thanks
Macatastic

Macatastic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black

This may be a silly question, but here goes,

I have installed Adobe Flash (to play content on BBC iPlayer) and have now found out about ClicktoFlash. Do I need to uninstall Flash from my iMac and then install CtF or do I need to leave Flash installed and it just goes to it when needed?

Can you play iPlayer with something else?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

PS still loving the Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

Just install click to flash - no need to uninstall flash...would sort of defeat the purpose as CTF would have nothing to block from loading.
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

Can't seem to find any 'Help' pages for ClickToFlash. The problem I'm having is that I have set CtF to automatically load H.264 videos from YouTube, also selecting HD. However, the placemat (?) says 'Youtube' not H.264 and when I click on it, it plays the normal lower quality vid and I assume it's flash and not quicktime.

Obviously I don't understand how this thing works, sorry for appearing daft, but anyone any advice?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Characters change to asterisks | Outlook 2011 Identity issue »