New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

New to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

algernonep

algernonep is on a distinguished road

I just ordered an iMac (21.5"). I have never used a Mac before. Basically being new to Mac, are there any must have software out there? What software is popular among Mac user? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here.

But, the first thing to learn is to stop titling every thread "New to Mac". An appropriately named title will help draw those that have the answer to your question to your thread.

Enjoy your new computer!

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
algernonep

algernonep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here.

But, the first thing to learn is to stop titling every thread "New to Mac". An appropriately named title will help draw those that have the answer to your question to your thread.

Enjoy your new computer!

ummm...
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

"Must have" software varies with the user. You'll have to specify what it is you do with your computer to get a useful answer to that. If you're looking for cool stuff to customize your Mac, there's plenty of that too, but it's not essential.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Well, what I often do when I'm searching for cool mac software is check the mac downloads website (Apple - Downloads). Just click all downloads on the bar on the right, then all categories just below it and scroll through the list that pops up. One app I can recommend off the top of my head if you got the Wireless magic mouse is MagicPrefs (MagicPrefs). It's great for configuring your mouse to use multiple actions. However, these guys are right. You should get used to the amazing apps that come with your mac first.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

These sites have some useful stuff IMO, look here and here.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

For many people, a basic productivity suite like iWork or Office is one of the first orders of business. Other than that, as stated above the Mac comes with a lot of stuff out of the box... and the rest depends on your needs.

Enjoy your new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Text heavy browser | Photo's Lost During Import - iPhoto Quite Unexpectedly »