New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help Finding a Game

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Hi, this is actually my first post on the website. Rather surprising seeing how I like forums and my family's been using strictly macs since I've been born.

Anyway, I need help finding a good game to play. I've been googling constantly and I can't find anything that interests me. I'm looking for something where you can control one character, so no Sims or Command or Conquer. I tried World of Warcraft, but what turned me off was the long walks from city to city and the tedious tasks of just killing wild animals over and over again till one leaves behind a special item.

I want something with a bunch of action. RPG elements, and strategy are nice, but action is the major priority. Diablo 3 looks perfect, but I'm not sure I can wait much more than a year for it. Then I turned to Diablo 2, but my computer's too new for it. Then I looked at the Apple Games website and I saw Star Wars The Force Unleashed, which looked alright, but apparently not all of the newest 13" MacBook Pros have enough GHz to run it.

Also, one important thing is that the fighting isn't too straight forward. I don't want a game where you just walk up to monsters and click the same button over and over again.

If anybody knows a game that could fulfill my needs I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have the newest 13" MacBook Pro, here are my specs:

Software:.......................OS 10.6.2
Model Name:...................MacBook Pro
Model Identifier:...............MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name:..............Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:..............2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors:......1
Total Number Of Cores:......2
L2 Cache:.........................3 MB
Memory:..........................4 GB
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have you looked at Spore?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Thanks, but I own it and the hero expansion. That's the only game I have actually.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Well there's:
Halo
Bioshock
And lots of opensource games, some of which will run on a Mac List of open-source video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Have you tried here?

Apple Store- Mac Games

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yeah, I've checked there, but I can't really find much that interests me. Bioshock looks cool and it's definitely worth checking out, but I'm rather tired of first person shooters, I'm looking for more of just a physical combat game, i.e. Diablo 3. I noticed a game called Dragon Age: Origins, but the combat seemed similar to WoW, where you can only walk up to a character and press a button over and over again. I want a game with more options for attacking, and more openness.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well here are a few different games you might like based on your original post:

Pirates - Live The Life
Based on the original pirates game from the B&W computer days. But this one is new and looks very snazzy with some nice sword fighting and ship combat scenes. And very open/sandbox styled game. Worth checking out.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2:
Both should play on your computer ok. They are based on the Dungeons and Dragons system of battle. But personally I thought NWN1 was pretty good but NWN2 despite the better graphics and story had a character control scheme that was so hard to use it tirned me off the game. Still you might liek them both for something different.

Starcraft:
Old game (Real Tie Strategy) - as in age of dinosaurs here. But it's still a goodie if you can get a hold of an OS X installer and can handle the low resolution of the game.

Puzzle Quest - Challenge Of The Warlords
Puzzle Quest - Galactrix
Two totally different games here. Puzzle based but both have heavy RPG elements in them too. Both really are a similar thing but the first is in a medievel setting and the 2nd is in a outerspace setting.

Plants Vs Zombies
I know a little casual game but it's really addictive.

Breakquest
Another little game but in my opinion the best brickles/breakout styled game I ahve ever played. It's really something.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Man I miss Starcraft... I am PUMPED for SC2. I've been trying to get an OS X installer forever. I lost my old CD copy ages ago, and don't really know if it's worth paying for again when SC2 is close to release.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have to be a Mac port, or would you be willing to try a Windows game? If not, I highly recommend the Half-Life 2 series. One of my all time favs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Good games, HL and HL2. I was never one for windows games, so I didn't play much... but Wolfenstein ET (or Enemy Territory) is also pretty good, and free. First person WW2 shooter.
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Pirates and Neverwinter Nights look alright. Starcraft looks really col and I'm probably going to get the 2nd one. The puzzle games look alright, but I detest bejeweled type games. I actually have Plants vs Zombies on my iPhone and it's great, don't know about breakquest.

By trying window games, you mean using bootcamp? I'm not really familiar with that, but I guess I could.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
By trying window games, you mean using bootcamp? I'm not really familiar with that, but I guess I could.
Exactly. One of the really cool things on Windows is Steam - it's a library of thousands of games, with community ratings. It also acts as a downloader and game manager. So, you buy a game from Steam, it downloads off the Internet and maintains the game (and patches) for you. If you format your drive, Steam keeps a record of games linked to your account and lets you download them again. Similarly, you can play your games on any computer that has Steam, providing that you are only in one instance at a time.

I never thought I'd like this kind of Orwellian approach to games, but it's actually all I use anymore. No more messing with discs or having to run out to the store for the latest releases. Very handy.

QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Exactly. One of the really cool things on Windows is Steam - it's a library of thousands of games, with community ratings. It also acts as a downloader and game manager. So, you buy a game from Steam, it downloads off the Internet and maintains the game (and patches) for you. If you format your drive, Steam keeps a record of games linked to your account and lets you download them again. Similarly, you can play your games on any computer that has Steam, providing that you are only in one instance at a time.

I never thought I'd like this kind of Orwellian approach to games, but it's actually all I use anymore. No more messing with discs or having to run out to the store for the latest releases. Very handy.
interesting, first I have to look into what bootcamp is exactly and what you need to use it. Any other windows reccomendations?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yffum View Post
interesting, first I have to look into what bootcamp is exactly and what you need to use it. Any other windows reccomendations?
That and a lot more here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ers-guide.html

QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Thanks, that's a very detailed, helpful explanation. However, buying the windows software would cost a lot and I'm not sure if it's truly worth it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine does not allow me to access files-no permissions | Clean Mail.app Interface »