New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Cant delete corrupt messages in Mail... Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnkanesmith

johnkanesmith is on a distinguished road

This is something I find really annoying. I cant stand the clutter of old messages, so junk mail made a permanent fixture urks me even more.

I work on 2 machines and they are having similar isues

1) A Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
I have one message stuck in my inbox, when I select it and click delete, it just turns grey. and if i drag the message to the trash nothing happens. When I classify it as junk mail it disapears (does not go to the junk mail folder), but when I go back to the inbox its there again. This message contains no data, nothing shows in the preview panel and I cant find a file for it on the hardrive (Home / Library / Mail)

2) New 17" macbook pro laptop
On this machine Im having the same problem as above, but with a couple messages. There is also a bunch of messages in the junk mail folder I cant erase.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I really dont want to backup / wipe / restore Mail on both computers.

And with this happening on both my machines, I cant be the only one having this problem...
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

IMAP or POP3 mail account?
QUOTE Thanks
johnkanesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
IMAP or POP3 mail account?
POP, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Try hitting ⌘ +'L' or go under View for the option "Show/Hide Deleted Messages"
QUOTE Thanks
johnkanesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
Try hitting ⌘ +'L' or go under View for the option "Show/Hide Deleted Messages"
Nope, its still there.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

here are some more suggestions to try.

TidBITS - Can't Delete Mail from Apple Mail
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Also right-click on the account and choose erase delete message (if that's an option)
QUOTE Thanks
johnkanesmith

I found a solution at the link you provided... Thank you!

All i had to do was rebuild the mailbox (mailbox / rebuild)

This fixed the problem on my desktop at work. Hopefully it will do the same for my laptop at home, those corrupt emails are in the junk mail folder as well.

Thanks again, you rock!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto - printed description? | Software to embed subtitles to a video file »