New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Is there a 'reminder' function on the mac..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomthesuperdude

tomthesuperdude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD

For people who need to do a particular thing once a month (on a particular day) for example... and who forget.

Can you get the Mac to beep or flash (or whatever) at you to jolt your memory. I definitely need it and it would be very handy..

Many thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

Use iCal, set it to email you
Create a calendar named, say, reminders, put the events in to repeat monthly, and alarm, email reminder

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by podraig View Post
Use iCal, set it to email you
Create a calendar named, say, reminders, put the events in to repeat monthly, and alarm, email reminder
That's exactly what I'd do - I use iCal for everything, from my work shift pattern, through family birthdays, to reminding me to calibrate my MacBook battery
QUOTE Thanks
MrCrilly

MrCrilly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3

Hi.

The build on podraig's response, here is exactly what you need to do in order to implement a reminder system in iCal.

Fire up iCal from you dock, your applications folder in Finder or by hitting Cmd + Space and entering "iCal". When iCal opens, on the left-hand side (by default) you will see a list of calendars. We need to add a calendar to this list by clicking the "+" icon in the bottom-left of iCal:

Once clicked, you'll get the option of entering the name of a new calendar:

Set the name of your new calendar to whatever you want, such as "Reminders". Next, we need to create a few entries for this calendar. This is simple to do. Firstly, select the date you want to set a reminder for and simply right-click and click "New Event".

Once your new event has been created, it should automatically be set for your new calendar. However, we want to configure a few more options and this is just as easy to do. Firstly, double-click on your new event/reminder to get this window:

From this window you can edit all of the event's settings, including the time of the event and the alarm settings (the import part for you). As you can see it's been assigned to the "Untitled" calendar because I was lazy and didn't enter a name for it. You should see the name of your calendar here; this is import for you also, as it defines this event as being a part of your reminders calendar.

I think you should be OK from here onwards but feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthesuperdude View Post
Can you get the Mac to beep or flash (or whatever) at you to jolt your memory.
Yeah, but if you're not sitting at the Mac or within "earshot" when it beeps, you'll miss it. The e-mail option is another choice, but I use the Message option. That allows you to set a time at which a window with your reminder pops up on your screen. So, if you're away from the computer, that note will be there for you the next time you wake it up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Fantasy 7 on PCSX | iWork Centering »