New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Adobe Illustrator won't open.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macocroft

macocroft is on a distinguished road

Since I installed Adobe Creative Suite CS4 Design Premium 2 days ago, Illustrator hasn't worked. Whenever I try to open it, it starts to load with the text "initializing plugins", then after a few seconds it crashes:

"The application Adobe Illustrator CS4 quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Relaunch to launch the application again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting .plist files, etc. but nothing, thus has, has worked.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have you the latest updates for what ever OS you are running??
Tried to repair permissions?
Or to do a good system cleanup try
Oynx or my personal favourite MainMenu and that version is free.

You could even go as far as booting from install disk and repair permissions that way ..
But try these suggestions and if still doesnt work post back and we can give you some more input.
But do post your specs and what OS you have

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
macocroft

After I installed it the first time, I copied the fonts from the 3rd CD ("Content") into Font Book. I tried deleting some from the library/fonts folder, but it didn't help. Is there a simple way to reset my fonts back to the system default?

I tried installing on a different computer, and it works fine, so I don't believe it was the disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Have you the latest updates for what ever OS you are running??
Tried to repair permissions?
Or to do a good system cleanup try
Oynx or my personal favourite MainMenu and that version is free.

You could even go as far as booting from install disk and repair permissions that way ..
But try these suggestions and if still doesnt work post back and we can give you some more input.
But do post your specs and what OS you have

Cheers
Repairing disk permissions didn't help, nor did a system cleanup using MainMenu

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Build 9L31a
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Is it possible you have some third-party plug-ins that got imported over from an earlier version?
QUOTE Thanks
macocroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Is it possible you have some third-party plug-ins that got imported over from an earlier version?
Before installing the creative suite 2 days ago, I had only ever used the trial of Illustrator, and did not install any plug-ins. I also deleted all Adobe files & folders before re-installing, so unless something was hidden somewhere not labelled as Adobe, I don't think there's any third-party plug-ins for any adobe products.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macocroft View Post
Before installing the creative suite 2 days ago, I had only ever used the trial of Illustrator, and did not install any plug-ins. I also deleted all Adobe files & folders before re-installing, so unless something was hidden somewhere not labelled as Adobe, I don't think there's any third-party plug-ins for any adobe products.
You need to dl AppCleaner and when you drag a app to it it will scan your system and trash any associated files/folders for that app.
Might be a bit late now you have already trashed it.
But to your specific problem the cogs are still turing ATM

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
macocroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
You need to dl AppCleaner and when you drag a app to it it will scan your system and trash any associated files/folders for that app.
Might be a bit late now you have already trashed it.
But to your specific problem the cogs are still turing ATM

Cheers
I tried AppCleaner; deleted Illustrator, then reinstalled, but the problem persists.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

At this point I'd say you'll need to call Adobe.
QUOTE Thanks
macocroft

Called Adobe, and was eventually directed to a page which told me to disable user fonts. Problem solved . Thanks everyone for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Explorer, Wine? Parallels? | May get MBP but use PC and PC Quickbooks »