New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto Backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ameachem

ameachem is on a distinguished road

Hi

apologies for the very basic level of this post - virgin iMac user alert!

Along with my new 27" iMac, I've bought a backup tool and am backing up a number of files/folders, one of them being my iPhoto file. My only concern is that the file is huge and it's only a single file whereas it contains 1,000's of photos. I read in MacWorld this month reference to an iPhoto user file and that got me worrying that if the worst was to happen would I be able to load the iPhoto file after I recover it from my external drive and see all of my photos - or do I need the user file as well?

Hopefully the question is clear?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What backup program are you using? If you have a large enough external hard drive, you can use the built in Time Machine backup which will allow you to recover your iPhoto file and folders intact if you should ever need to do so.

You also should consider using a backup strategy that can clone your entire hard drive contents to an external drive and at the same time render the external drive bootable. Both "Carbon Copy Cloner" and "SuperDuper" will do just that.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ameachem

ameachem is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm using Intego Personal Backup X5 - seems to get good reviews and again probably my lack of knowledge but I started to use Time Machine and I couldn't see the individual files that had been backed up. This seemed important to me at the time so bought the commercial software
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

The iPhoto Library is not one individual file. It's a "package" which is a fancy name for a unique looking folder. Ctrl-Click your iPhone Library and select 'Show Package Contents'. You'll then be able to see what's really in there.

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES INSIDE THE PACKAGE. EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE COULD DESTROY THE LIBRARY. That's why the contents of the library are normally hidden. But feel free to look around in there at your own risk.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You also should consider using a backup strategy that can clone your entire hard drive contents to an external drive and at the same time render the external drive bootable. Both "Carbon Copy Cloner" and "SuperDuper" will do just that.

Regards.
I agree wholeheartedly with this! I have multiple external hard drive backups, at different locations to protect my photos!

Having said that, if all you want to do is to backup your photos, I'd simply copy the entire iPhoto library (with all the subfiles, etc.) (User>Pictures>iPhoto Library) to another media (DVD, external HD, etc.). That way, if you ever need to recover, you will have an intact library to simply copy back to your (new) drive.

And, I also second the advice to stay out of the iPhoto library in finder! You can REALLY mess up your iPhoto if you do anything in there!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video won't play | new hard drive problems »