02-11-2010, 07:10 AM #1
CPU issues and temporary freezing with WoW
- Member Since
- Feb 11, 2010
Im running a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, approx 4yrs old.
When ever I run World of Warcraft my computer periodically freezes up for 2-3 seconds at a time. This can repeat every couple of seconds for many minutes before fixing itself. While this was happening I took a look at iStat Pro and it was saying that WoW was using approx 140% cpu and WindowServer was using approx 60-70% cpu. I realize that the computer i am using is far from recommended for playing WoW on but I have used it fine for WoW since i bought it 4 years ago with no issues. The freezing up has only started happening in the last 6months or so. Has anyone else had a freezing up issue or does anyone have any ideas on how i can fix this problem?
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 22, 2010
- Victoria, BC
- Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
Sounds to me like your hard drive has found a bad sector.
Normally this would be a sign of an HD that is starting to fail, but it can also be a sign of abnormal disk fragmentation.
If you have the time and inclination, try this:
1. Make a clone backup of your drive to an external HD. This will save you time later. If you're using Time Machine, let it make an up-to-the-minute backup as well.
2. Boot from the clone. Make sure everything seems to work properly.
3. Use Disk Utility to erase the boot drive. Choose the zero-out (ONCE!) option. The other ones take DAYS. Once is enough for what we're doing.
4. Either clone back from your clone backup, or do a restore from your TM backup.
That will effectively defragment the drive. If you're still getting the hangup after that, I'd say the drive is in trouble.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Mr.FC in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 1Last Post: 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
By Winyowjames in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 1Last Post: 04-22-2011, 08:48 AM
By north_guy in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 7Last Post: 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
By Eperrine in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 5Last Post: 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
By camnewyork in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 2Last Post: 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM