Sloooooow TM Backups
    Ok here's the deal, I had Time Machine working just fine but I decided to reinstall snow leopard (giving me some nagging problems), Now SL runs great, but TM... not so much. It takes about 10 minutes to reach "preparing 99%" once here it takes about another 5 to finally begin to backup. Once it begins to backup it is painfully slow, it took 30 minutes to backup 1 GB. I remember usually it would take 30 minutes to backup around 40 GB. Is there a fix for this? BTW TM takes up about 60-80% of cpu power once it begins to backup, I assume this is not normal.

2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    Can you have a look in the log files and see just how much time machine is trying to back up .... my guess is that it is trying to re-do a complete backup.
    In which case, there is no option but to let it complete ... and interrupting the backup process is not a good idea.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

ok now after reading stuff online, my backups are about 100 kB in total, meaning they only take a few seconds to backup. This does not make sense because I have 46 GB of stuff that has not been backed up yet. Anyone else have this problem?

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Just wipe the drive, allow TM to make a fresh backup. This is not the "true" answer but it will work and you can get on with your life.

Thread Information