New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacMail not receiving all messages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

purpleinnej

purpleinnej is on a distinguished road

I'm brand new to the Mac world, so please excuse me if I'm missing something simple or if I don't give all the necessary information.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and running Mac OS X 10.5.6

I set up macmail and used it successfully for 2-3 days. All of a sudden I stopped receiving some of my emails. I didn't realize it for 2 days, since I was still receiving some emails, but not all. My husband mentioned sending me one I hadn't received, which is when I realized the problem. I checked my old machine (PC) which is still running Windows and Outlook and the messages were all there. I've looked through some forums, but can't find anyone with the same situation. It seems everyone is either receiving all or none.

I have no rules set up and it is POP3.

I can't find a commonality between the messages I'm not receiving. I've tried Connection Doctor which reports everything is normal.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You could start by updating your OS to 10.5.8
You can get it HERE.
Best to dl it straight from apple site instead of the System Update. Once you have got it install it, then run Repair Disk Permissions.
Unless someone else pops in for another solution, just keep us posted so we can try another method.
And i dare say we will find your problem eventually lol

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

I will try that. In the meantime I got Office for Macs and am running Entourage, too. Trying to see if it's the app or the machine. I'm also still running Office on the old PC. So that means I'm comparing 3 sets of emails to make sure I don't miss any. As of now, Entourage has missed one... once again, not sure if it's the app or the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Cool. its just a matter of weeding out things 1 by 1. But once the system is updated, we might have a better chance if it still occurs. Make sure you update entourage as well ...

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

Haha, of course. Already ran the office update. =)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Could it be passing these "missing" emails to the Junk folder?
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

No, I've already checked that. Nothing in the junk folder. And I have had some things go there, so I know they're not getting automatically deleted from the junk folder or anything like that.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

do you have your pop3 email set to remove from server ? If yes there is a chance your old windows box is removing those emails before the Mac can check. Just a thought. I use IMAP for all my email accts so the messages are always synced between machines.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

I have updated software. I'm now running 10.5.8. After I did that Entourage quit working and I had to uninstall and reinstall Office, then re-update it. But now everything is back in working order and updated.

I checked my old machine and there was a box "Leave messages on the server" that was not checked. I checked it and will wait a day or so to see if that solves it. It would seem odd to me though that some of the messages were still coming through to MacMail and Entourage. I'll keep you updated.
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

It's fixed. Apparently Outlook was deleting messages off the server when it received them. Odd it didn't remove them all. Thanks for the help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sofisticat

Sofisticat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac OS X Version 10.6 8

Hi purpleinnej, how did you find out that it was Outlook doing it? I'd be interested as my PC picked up some mail that my iMac didn't! And, like you I checked to make sure the "leave it on the server" box was checked on all machines, and it was. So how did you find out Outlook delted them?
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

In my case the box, "Leave messages on server" was not checked. Once I checked it, my problem was solved.
QUOTE Thanks
Leo852

Leo852 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Purpleinnej,

You said you fixed the issue. I have the same problem. I get some messages from certain sources, but not all. I looked for "Leave messages on server" but couldn't find it. Can you give me some specifics on where exactly you found this, please?
QUOTE Thanks
purpleinnej

Sure, I'll try

Entourage-> Account Settings
Double click on your account name (mine is NAME(POP))
Options tab
Under server options, it's the second one listed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .app? | Apple Mail and Gmail stopped working this morning!! HELP!!!! »