New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Issue with Skype and iSight

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iscameron

iscameron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.

OSX - 10.6.2
Skype - 2.8.0.722

I've just gotten back onto Skype and I've run into the problem that my iSight is not working with it. It runs fine in other programs and I have checked the preferences in Skype and video is Enabled. There are two options for the camera choice, Built-in iSight and Built-in iSight(Leopard)...

Built-in iSight ->displays black with the words "Camera in use by other application"

Built-in iSight (Leopard) -> the green light beside the camera turns on but the image is just green.

There are some suggestions, the first is to run a program that runs an applescript that turns on the camera (not really what I'd like), the other is to delete a file in Quicktime that appears to run the camera (which I can't find).

I'm looking for a permanent fix to this, and it appears that the Skype Admins are not acknowledging this issue.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

One post is enough, do not cross-post.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

I am running both Skype and iChat and both work correctly in 10.6.2 - so i would be looking elsewhere for the issue. As a first step in troubleshooting download and install this.

Quote:
are two options for the camera choice, Built-in iSight and Built-in iSight(Leopard)
this is a little confusing! What do u mean by that?
QUOTE Thanks
iscameron

Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.

Here is a ScreenShot of the problem.

I will try installing the update but im pretty sure i'm all up to date on those.
QUOTE Thanks
iscameron

So I've found the issue, for some reason a component to Quicktime was "using" the camera even without quicktime running.

Deleting the CamCamX5.component file from /Library/Quicktime folder

The camera recording still works fine in Quicktime so I am not sure what it has done in quicktime but so far I see no repercussions.

Thanks for the help though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage Help | Getting rid of autotyping in MS Word 2008 »