New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Clamxav

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eminem

Eminem is an unknown at this point

Where do i drag the ScanwithClamxav plugin? It says click home and then find contextual menu items in the library but it doesn't say contextual menu items. It says contextual menu items when i go to Library from Macintosh HD. Does it just mean to go to the library from Macintosh HD? Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As there are no viri for OS X uninstall that AV. Often AV software does more harm than good. Have a read of this link, which whilst a couple of years old is still good as there are still no viri as stated:-

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...l?tag=mfiredir
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

Thank you but its still recommended to have antivirus so I would like to have it. I want to know if i installed clamxav correctly. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Recommended by whom... the anti-virus companies?

Here is the latest from Apple.

Apple - Mac OS X - Security - Keeps safe from viruses and malware

There are extremely few long time OS X users (at least in this forum) that have any anti-virus installed.
If you want to keep it, perhaps someone that uses clamxav will come along to answer your question. If not, you might want to ask over in the clamxav forums.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

Would you recommend i get rid of it? I am using Leopard not Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My personal recommendation?

I do not now, nor have I run an a-v on my Mac since I've had one and see no reason to start using one at this time.

There are currently zero viruses in the wild, zero worms in the wild and only a couple of Trojans. You are safe from those if you're not downloading illegal/pirated software.

The only good reason I see for most folks to run an a-v on their Mac 'at this time' is if you're one of those that get a bunch of what I call trash mail from friends with all kinds of "cute junk" and you tend to resend that stuff on to your other windows using friends. An a-v can help prevent passing a virus along (one that won't affect your Mac in any way).

However, installing an a-v is the first thing I do with my new Windows boxes and should be the same for them. I leave it to them to take care of their own Win machine, same as I do mine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

And who did recommend it? If you intend to run Windows via Boot Camp or any other program, then be sure to download Microsoft Security Essentials whilst in the Windows program and run that.
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

So do you think most Mac users use av software?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

No they don't as there are no Mac ODS X viri and safe browsing and avoiding pirate sites will steer you clear of trojans.
QUOTE Thanks
MrCrilly

MrCrilly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3

I've had my Mac for about six to seven months now and I've never installed anti-virus software. I do have LittleSnitch as my firewall, but that's a whole new ballpark. The links you have been provided with, Eminem, are a good read and will shed some light onto the suggestions made throughout this thread.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Favourite Applications... | "I'm Feeling Lucky" search in Safari Address Bar? »