New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PS3 Controller as joystick for mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanez

Shanez is on a distinguished road

Can this be done, to use a ps3 controller as a Mac Joystick, im pretty sure it can be done on PC,

If that fails can you use a ps2 joystick with mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Yip, Tattiebogle.net - Ps3Controller

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Shanez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Cheers m8, Do i need a special usb connection or do i simply use the one that comes with the ps3
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

No, it works over Bluetooth.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
audunk

audunk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Air 2011 Mac OS Maverick 10.9.3

Im bumping this one since this is the closest related to my question.
l am considering buying a ps3 controller for my macbook air. Does the controller work on any game or just some games?
For the moment l want it for playing worms, so that is the most important atm. Anybody knows?

Oh, and is it limited to just one controller or is it possible to connect several controllers to one mac?
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

For those who want to use the ps3 controller with steam, note that there is not native support in a lot of steamplay games for apple. In recent versions of OS X the drivers are built in (so you can use it via USB with no problems... altho I warn that the bluetooth will pretty much spam you with pairing requests when you unplug it... the controller will likely not pair either).

But yeah... if you're looking for the best game compatibility I'd suggest a 360 controller and the OSX driver from Tattiebogle.net - Mac OS X driver

Most games are designed for the 360 controller at this point in time, so it'll offer the best compatibility.

Note: I have not tried games from the Mac App Store. It's possible it MIGHT work since the driver is built into OSX, but there are no guarantees as it is ultimately up to the developer of the game to provide support for certain brands of controllers.
QUOTE Thanks
audunk

audunk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Air 2011 Mac OS Maverick 10.9.3

An update for anybody interested:
l tested a PS3 controller now and found out l had to download an app called Gamepad Companion to make it work with Worms. It is not very expensive, it is about $8 USD, according to a forum where l heard of it.
Well worth the money in my opinion. You can program the different buttons to correspond with whatever key on the keyboard you want. Now its pretty much just like playing Worms on the Playstation
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by audunk View Post
An update for anybody interested:
l tested a PS3 controller now and found out l had to download an app called Gamepad Companion to make it work with Worms. It is not very expensive, it is about $8 USD, according to a forum where l heard of it.
Well worth the money in my opinion. You can program the different buttons to correspond with whatever key on the keyboard you want. Now its pretty much just like playing Worms on the Playstation
Thanks for that, because the USB controller i use just doesn't cut it. Ill check this out, and won't buy coffee for a cpl of days

And to add, its in the Mac App Store too.

+Rep

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Sharing on an iMac & MBP? | Can't open iPhoto! »