New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Snow Leopard > Firefox 3.6 > Java not working...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slater

slater is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 " MBP, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo , 4gb ram, 250gb drive

Hi guys, I recently purchased my first Mac (MacBook Pro) and for some unknown reason Java apps won't show in the latest Firefox but they do in Safari. I've done the latest plugin updates in FF and Software Updates from the Apple menu. So I'm currently running:

Snow Leopard - Mac OS X 10.6.2
Java SE 6 1.6.0_17
Java plugin 1.0-JEP-0.9.7.2 (yes it's enabled)

I've been on a couple of Java testing sites and both did not show the app I was supposed to be seeing, but this site Java Information - BrowserSpy.dk (which is linked to the Mozilla plugin update page) had these results:

Test Result

Java enabled Yes
Java supported Yes
Java version Yes - version 1.6.0
Java using object and applet tag
Java using the applet tag

As you can see there were no results for the applet tags, hopefully this might be a clue for a smart cookie because I'm stumped. I've been googling for ages and haven't found anything promising so my last resort was to post here. If you need anymore info just ask but in the mean time I'm just going to have to fall back on Safari if I need Java, any suggestions would be much appreciated though, cheers
QUOTE Thanks
orb

orb is on a distinguished road

Slater ... I don't think I can help, specifically, but have a similar issue.

Running:
Snow Leopard Mac 10.06.02
Java SE 1.6.0.17

Just yesterday, I pushed go on the software update and java has been updated yet now doesn't work in either safari or firefox (or chrome). Up until then I was in a similar boat to you with safari and firefox ...now both are

The site I have issue with is: WebFirst Logon

I can't find the original v1.6 for java that runs on OS X 10.6.x...only the update1 (_17) that is everywhere. I'm running firefox 3.5.7 and safari 4.04...any clues??
QUOTE Thanks
kamuts

kamuts is on a distinguished road

Oh man. I have exactly the same problem.

As I am new to Mac, I do not know how to solve this.

But I have noticed something. If you have the disk image file, Firefox 3.6 11-10-52.dmg, open it with diskimagemounter, and keep the firefox disk image running, start your Firefox, then Java can be run without a problem.

Eject the firefox disk image, restart firefox, Java fails to run.

Anyone has any bright idea ?
QUOTE Thanks
abonavo2

abonavo2 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the exact same problem...

I put the disk image of firefox on my desktop and everything worked fine again. Anyone have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you running Firefox from the disk image? If so, you need to copy it to your machine (disk images are meant only as a means of distributing the app).

Test the installation here. Does it recognize your install? If not, in Firefox, go to the url about:plugins (yes, that is a valid page). Is Java listed there?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

First up download the OS X.6.6 Combo Updater and then the latest version of Firefox, 3.6.13. Software Updates do contain important updates for your Mac. Do not run Firefox from the .dmg file,. Double click to open and move the Firefox icon to Applications.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
c_laverne

c_laverne is on a distinguished road

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL.

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL:
I HAD TO RESTART
"FORCED" TEN TIMES A DAY:

I UPDATED JAVA:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9
About Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9

also

JavaEmbeddingPlugin 0.9.7.5

I have a PPC G5 dual 2.0
OSX 10.5.8

Firefox 3.6.16
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe