New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

AppZapper vs. CleanApp 3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have experience with both of these apps for comparison? I'm going to buy one, but can't decide which. I've been using AppCleaner since I bought my Mac, but it does leave bits and pieces...bits and pieces that both of these claim to find. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Yes.

I've entered this debate b4 now, and my preference is clear - CleanApp! I like the way it vacuums all those "bits & pieces", things you'd never think to look for yourself using plain old Move to Trash. I too have used AppCleaner and AppZapper, but bought CleanApp after trialing all three for a month or so. HTH.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

AppTrap is another have found to be very good with one great advantage ~ it is freeware!

AppTrap
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
AppTrap is another have found to be very good with one great advantage ~ it is freeware!

AppTrap
Agree and it just sits in preferences and is un obtrusive ....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I've been using AppZapper for awhile now but will try AppTrap.
Can I drag and drop AppZapper into itself to remove it? Hmmmmm.....

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Tekjunke

Tekjunke is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Can I drag and drop AppZapper into itself to remove it? Hmmmmm.....
HAha no, I just tried it
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'll stick with AppZapper because I love the noise.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

AppZapper certainly looks more clean and "Macish", but CleanApp looks more powerful and I guess the whole point is to get as close to 100% of files removed from the system that were created by a piece of software as possible. The one I use now is freeware and works pretty well with plist files and application support folders, but I do find stuff left behind regularly.

A zap sound effect...hmmm.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

So I did a few experiments and discovered that 1) CleanApp is too much tool for the job. It also listed several items using its remnants feature that were still active preferences. 2) App Zapper has a very nice interface and is a well throughout, intuitive piece of Mac software not only catches the files my freeware solution catches, but also the cache files. 3) I routinely delete cache files using Onyx and AppCleaner works fantastically well for free! I'm gonna live without the fancy sound effects until AppCleaner is obsoleted by a newer version of the OS at some point (I'm not sure it is still in active development). I used it to delete AppZapper, CleanApp and their associated files.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully this will answer someone else next time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flash Player help | new problem: sending email »