AppZapper vs. CleanApp 3
    Does anyone have experience with both of these apps for comparison? I'm going to buy one, but can't decide which. I've been using AppCleaner since I bought my Mac, but it does leave bits and pieces...bits and pieces that both of these claim to find. Thanks!

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8

I've entered this debate b4 now, and my preference is clear - CleanApp! I like the way it vacuums all those "bits & pieces", things you'd never think to look for yourself using plain old Move to Trash. I too have used AppCleaner and AppZapper, but bought CleanApp after trialing all three for a month or so. HTH.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    AppTrap is another have found to be very good with one great advantage ~ it is freeware!

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    AppTrap is another have found to be very good with one great advantage ~ it is freeware!

Agree and it just sits in preferences and is un obtrusive ....
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
    I've been using AppZapper for awhile now but will try AppTrap.
    Can I drag and drop AppZapper into itself to remove it? Hmmmmm.....
    MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPC2000XL, X7000, MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, SP-808, TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 & Willzyx | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 4000+ vinyl records

South Florida
    Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
    Can I drag and drop AppZapper into itself to remove it? Hmmmmm.....
    HAha no, I just tried it

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I'll stick with AppZapper because I love the noise.

AppZapper certainly looks more clean and "Macish", but CleanApp looks more powerful and I guess the whole point is to get as close to 100% of files removed from the system that were created by a piece of software as possible. The one I use now is freeware and works pretty well with plist files and application support folders, but I do find stuff left behind regularly.

A zap sound effect...hmmm.

So I did a few experiments and discovered that 1) CleanApp is too much tool for the job. It also listed several items using its remnants feature that were still active preferences. 2) App Zapper has a very nice interface and is a well throughout, intuitive piece of Mac software not only catches the files my freeware solution catches, but also the cache files. 3) I routinely delete cache files using Onyx and AppCleaner works fantastically well for free! I'm gonna live without the fancy sound effects until AppCleaner is obsoleted by a newer version of the OS at some point (I'm not sure it is still in active development). I used it to delete AppZapper, CleanApp and their associated files.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully this will answer someone else next time.

Thread Information