New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word 2008 Question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

w.markegard

w.markegard is an unknown at this point

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I tried Google already and couldn't figure it out.

I have a document with a Title page and then a Table of Contents. I want to star the numbering after the ToC, but I can only get it to start on the ToC. HELP, please!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Isn't the prcedure outlined in Word Help from the Help Menu? I can't look til later...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.markegard View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I tried Google already and couldn't figure it out.

I have a document with a Title page and then a Table of Contents. I want to star the numbering after the ToC, but I can only get it to start on the ToC. HELP, please!
First, make sure you have selected "Print Layout" from the top menu "View". Then click on "insert page number". When the Page Numbering dialog opens, unselect the option "Show number on first page". Then click "Format".

Another dialog will open offering choices of where to begin the numbering. It's from here where you will be able to select the start of the numbering sequence. Notice it also offers a section and chapter choice.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
w.markegard

w.markegard is an unknown at this point

Thanks for the help, but that still didn't work to skip the first TWO pages and have the numbering start at 1 on the third page. I just can't seem to make that work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the help, but that still didn't work to skip the first TWO pages and have the numbering start at 1 on the third page. I just can't seem to make that work.
Yeah, I just tried using the section breaks and that didn't work either. Looks like you'll have to resort to a less elegant way.

OK. Do this: Create your TOC as a separate document (a TOC can have more than one page) and integrate it into the main document after printing. In other words, leave out the TOC in your main document and start your page numbering on the second page which effectively skips the Title page.

I really don't know why Office 2008 does not allow separate and specific numbering since Office 2007 (Windows version) does have that capability.

Sorry, I can't think of another way to do the numbering.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
It has to work! Did you see what Word Help has to say? I have the Missing Manual for Office at home. I'll try to look in there later.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
It has to work! Did you see what Word Help has to say? I have the Missing Manual for Office at home. I'll try to look in there later.
If you find a solution, please post it so everyone can benefit. It wouldn't be the first time that MS has not documented something in their help file.

BTW, Word help says very little about page numbering.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

(Wish I had a scanner! Here goes...)

1. Insert > Break > Section Break (you know where)

2. Click above Break, choose View > Header and Footer

3. Click on a footer above Break

4. On the H&F toolbar, click Insert Page Number (# symbol), then click Format Page number (icon - hover til you find it)

5. Choose number format. Click Start At radio button, click OK.

6. On the H&F toolbar, click Show Next button (or just click a footer in the next section, below Break), then click "Same as Previous" button to deselect it.

7. Repeat step 4.

8. Repeat step 5.

Now, it might be that you can't choose the same number format for both sections. The book suggests two different formats, but does not say that it's required.

Let me know if this helped.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail, Safari and Firefox crash when I try to attach files to an e-mail | Help with running any bittorrent client on Macbook »