New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Excel page setup problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Captain Steve

Captain Steve is on a distinguished road

Using Office for Mac - Excel

I created at worksheet and setup the sheet as legal size - 8.5x14 in landscape layout. Then save it that way.

However, when I re-open the file, it opens as letter size - 8.5x11.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

File > Page Setup > Page > Options... > Paper Size
Select US Legal, and the "sideways" icon for landscape.

If that's the way you did it, you did nothing wrong. Those settings should be saved with the file.
QUOTE Thanks
Captain Steve

Captain Steve is on a distinguished road

That's what I thought, still... it is not working
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

You could try isolating the plist file and generating a new one to see if that would fix things. Or, try Escel from a different user account and see if it behaves.
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

Dave Wightman is on a distinguished road

I have been sweating over the same problem all afternoon. I cannot get my spreadsheet to save a Legal page size in the Page Setup Dialog. When I quit Excel and save it, the next time I open the spreadsheet it has reverted to US Letter Borderless for some strange reason. I even clicked Save as Default in the dialog drop down and it doesn't help.
I'm very frustrated with this problem and would welcome suggestions. I have just upgraded to Lion so that may have something to do with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

I took the advice of toMACsh and logged in as another user. Excel worked fine. So trashing the pref file should fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wightman View Post
I took the advice of toMACsh and logged in as another user. Excel worked fine. So trashing the pref file should fix it.
Not necessarily, but perhaps.
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

You're right. It doesn't necessarily fix it because the original problem file still doesn't work. I was able to bring the file that worked in the other user into my user via the Shared user folder and it works OK. It's only full page charts that gave me the problem but the page size kept reverting back to Letter from Legal. Maybe the file itself was corrupted somehow.
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

Now even the file I brought over from a different user on my mac is reverting to Letter. Excel 2008 under Lion simply won't remember its page setting. Don't know whether it's an Excel problem or a Lion problem. I do know that the Page Setup reverts to whatever you've set as default in the Print and Scan System Preferences pane. That's the only way I could get it to retain a Legal paper size setting. By the way I did a complete uninstall of Excel including all pref files and then reinstalled it. No change.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Dave, the problem is somewhere in your User Account. It didn't fail under a new account. You tried the plist file, and that didn't help. You can pull your hair out trying to figure out what is corrupt. You will fail. Bite the bullet and move all your files to a new account. Once you get 'em all, trash the bad account.
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

OK - You're right. I'm in the process of transferring now and it's not as easy as it sounds. I have to avoid transferring the user library for fear it's the source of the corruption so I have to re-setup mail and everything!
Thanks for your help though MAC.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

You're welcome.

That's Macintosh, or rather MAC in tosh... toMACsh
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

After going to the considerable trouble of creating a new user and transferring all my files I thought I had the problem solved. It worked fine from 11 January until today 18 January and I opened the file every day. Now today it's back to its old behaviour of reverting Page Setup to US Letter. It won't remember the page setup at all. When it's working it's saving the page setup for each worksheet in a file so it can't really be the Pref file, it's got to be saved with the document file itself. When it's not working it reverts to whatever page size is set as default in the Print and Scan system preferences for the printer.
Wonder if Capt Steve ever solved it or if toMACsh has any more ideas?
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Maybe the file itself was corrupted somehow.
Quote:
Wonder if Capt Steve ever solved it or if toMACsh has any more ideas?
Only one: Open a blank file and copy and paste everything from the problem file.

If more than one file is a problem, that won't help, of course
QUOTE Thanks
Dave Wightman

Still working on this but failed again. Used a new User again and started from scratch. Worked OK for a few days then Excel refused to save the page setup and always reverts to US Letter. It's a mystery!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RSS feeds, Mail, and Reader | Facebook Notifications sign-in problem »