New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

external HD on a macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SkaZiiKx

SkaZiiKx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13' 2GB RAM 160GB HD

just got a macbook pro and im trying to get my old pics on to here,i plugged it in first time and it worked but not it doesnt show up when i plug it in. im using usb 2.0 NOT firewire, iv tried both ports but it still wont show up . please help !
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you open up Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), does it show up on the left hand side when it is plugged in (and turned on if appropriate)? What filesystem has the drive been formatted with? Does it work with another computer?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Is it a branded USB hard drive?

One of my friends has a SATA enclosure with his own HDD installed and it's touch and go with his iMac - but my WD Passport works flawless every time.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
SkaZiiKx

SkaZiiKx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13' 2GB RAM 160GB HD

yes it works with mt old laptop, its callled "Q Disk" , its formatted to take big files and cant remember whats thats called sorry lol
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaZiiKx View Post
yes it works with mt old laptop, its callled "Q Disk" , its formatted to take big files and cant remember whats thats called sorry lol
Could be NTFS - Should still work on OSX though.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

if it's NTFS then you only have read access under OSX

for full NTFS read/write access you need to install the appropriate filesystem driver, you can use wither the free NTFS-3G (+MacFUSE) or paid Paragon NTFS for Mac

it's easy to install without a hassle or anything

however it's strange that you don't see the drive at all, you should definitely try what Vansmith suggested, have a look at Disk Utility and try mounting the disk
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final cut shortcuts | DivX crashes Safari »