New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

.Bin.gz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WMDunkin

WMDunkin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM

I have downloaded a large file and is a .GZ. But when I expand it it gives me a .bin but it is a image file and I can't get it past that please help!!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

what do you mean by "can't get past that" ?? could you elaborate??
if it in fact is an image, then you should be able to mount it just like a .dmg by double clicking on it
another way would be to use disk utility, just drag the .bin image file into disk utility and click open in the top panel

but, .bin doesn't necessarily have to be a disk image, it can be a data archive used by some programs, usually an installer
QUOTE Thanks
WMDunkin

well it is the blue marble large image file, and once I get it to the .bin then I am not sure what else to do with it to view the image.

this is the message i get from the Archive Utility after it uncompresses it.

Quote:
Unable to archive "world.topo.bathy.200411.3x86400x43200.bin" into "world.topo.bathy.200411.3x86400x43200.bin.cpg z".
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I did a quick google for that file and it looks like data for another program, some sort of virtual planet or something, my guess is the .bin is a data archive for some program, you probably won't be able to look at that file straight on as a photo, is that what you're trying to accomplish?
If so, check forums for that software or whatever

You're probably confusing two terms: an image as a graphic or photo vs. an image as a disk image, which can be e.g. a cd/dvd saved to your hard drive
However .bin disk images are more common on windows, on a Mac it's more likely to be either a data package or even an installer of some sort, either way consult the file source pages ...
QUOTE Thanks
WMDunkin

yeah I have come across that a lot, but there are directions on their site saying how to open it in PS but I get to the end and it crashes. So I wasn't sure what the deal is.
QUOTE Thanks
perspixe

perspixe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMDunkin View Post
yeah I have come across that a lot, but there are directions on their site saying how to open it in PS but I get to the end and it crashes. So I wasn't sure what the deal is.
Hi there,
I am on the same files exactly and have same problem as you have.
I tried change .bin to .raw and open as Photoshop raw (CS5) but when i follow instructions and enter the pixel counts it tells me file size doesn't correspond.

Have you sorted the problem and could you help me please.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« College Student with new Macbook Pro. Help me out? | Mail Client Help! »