New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Disk Utility for Windows?

Thread Closed

Git Lo

Git Lo is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if there is a disk utility like program I can use to partition my flash drive for use on my mac.
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Try the built in Disk Management. Right click on My Computer, select Manage, and then look for Disk Management in the left pane.

Your best bet would be use a partitioning utility such as PartitionMagic

June 2007
July 2009
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Lo View Post
I was wondering if there is a disk utility like program I can use to partition my flash drive for use on my mac.
Use the Disk Management tool as recommended by Kash (or Partition Magic if you can find a copy) but do not use Disk Utility from OS X. DU from OS X can partition a flash drive OK but it creates a protective 200 MB partition in addition to the main partition. This renders the flash drive next to useless when trying to use it for Windows as Windows will only "see" the 200 MB partition. Using it in OS X will be OK though.

Regards.
Git Lo

Ill go into a bit more detail. My macbook stopped working for no reason, flashing folder on startup and I need to use my Windows PC to partition Disk Warrior and other programs to fix my MAC computer. Is this possible?
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why can't you boot your MacBook from your startup DVD and trouble shoot it that way? And if you already have Disk Warrior, it comes with a bootable DVD, why would you need a PC to partition anything?

A flashing folder on startup is an indication that your machine can not find a bootable device to start from. This is usually a good indication that there may be a problem with your hard drive.

Try booting your machine with your original install DVD first. Hold down the "option" key as soon as you hear the chime. Then select the DVD and let it boot. Run Disk Utilities from the top menu Utilities. Select first aid and run the verify and repair option.

Post back results and we can go from there.

Regards.
Git Lo

My fault im using a macbook air which doesn't have a cd drive out of the box.
Git Lo

So I went ahead and got a cd drive for my macbook and First Aid fails because

Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed.

What can I do?

Thread Closed

« Small Facebook with Firefox | Merlin vs. OmniPlan »