New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Free Animation Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shazang

shazang is on a distinguished road

I'm not buying Flash. Period. So I'm wondering if there is any sort of alternative or free (oh God, please free) software that will allow me to animate 2D cartoons and that sort of thing.
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

There's stykz, but it's nowhere near a substitute for flash. It is free though!
Stykz - The first multi-platform stick figure animation program

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Just for you.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

Perhaps you'd like Pencil. I've heard some pretty good things about it, even though I've never personally used it. Here's a tutorial that a quick YouTube search brought up. If that's not right for you, check out GIMP. It's likely much more powerful, but it's also going to probably be more difficult to learn. Animation is handled by a plugin called GIMP GAP. It's extremely powerful, but you'd be well advised to look up any tutorials you can for it.
QUOTE Thanks
shazang

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZach View Post
There's stykz, but it's nowhere near a substitute for flash. It is free though!
Stykz - The first multi-platform stick figure animation program
Yes, I have it in my dock. Thank you though.
QUOTE Thanks
shazang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Just for you.
I've tried that already.

It's like my grandpa always said, "The god of death eats only an apple."
QUOTE Thanks
shazang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabl View Post
Perhaps you'd like Pencil. I've heard some pretty good things about it, even though I've never personally used it. Here's a tutorial that a quick YouTube search brought up. If that's not right for you, check out GIMP. It's likely much more powerful, but it's also going to probably be more difficult to learn. Animation is handled by a plugin called GIMP GAP. It's extremely powerful, but you'd be well advised to look up any tutorials you can for it.
Wow, thanks. Once I get the hang of this, I can probably start making some quality content.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazang View Post
I've tried that already.

It's like my grandpa always said, "The god of death eats only an apple."
Did you really? Cause if you did you would have found Pencil which was the first hit on the page. Your grandpa is wrong. It's death gods only eat apples.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
shazang

Stupid translator.

Stupid me not knowing how to speak Thingymuigwhatsits.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I don't know anything about it, but I recall a program called Blender which is open-source and free.

Also, at one point Maya had a free "personal learning edition." I believe they still do.

Finally, while not free, I've always been impressed by Martin Hash's Animation Master. When you have a spare $300, it's worth checking out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Racing simulator options on mac ?? | Audio Routing Software »