New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OpenOffice Aqua for OS10.4 on a pre-Intel Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vita64

vita64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4

OpenOffice Aqua for OS10.4 on a pre-Intel Mac?

Does it exist? Where can I download it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to purchase software and my stepdaughter needs to be able to open and work with MS Word files for her college classes.

Thanks,
Andrea
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Neo Office is a branch of open office

https://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en...ssdownload.php

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I believe newer versions of OOo are Intel-only. There is however NeoOffice which has both Intel and PPC builds available.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Be aware that NeoOffice is reported quite often as being sluggish on PPC Macs. If your step daughter is required to submit work that may present a problem to some teachers/lecturers who ahve been known to accept work only in Word format alas.

Office 2004 for the Mac sells reasonably second hand, make sure some of the key codes have not been used.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
If your step daughter is required to submit work that may present a problem to some teachers/lecturers who ahve been known to accept work only in Word format alas.
NeoOffice will save in Word .doc format. Unless the page layout is complex or if the teacher uses a lot of fancy editing features then it should be okay with text saving and reading of Word files. You just have to remember to save it as a .doc file because it doesn't do it as default.

I'm really surprised that some teachers are still using and requiring Word format. When I was in school I actually had a lot of teachers specifically tell their students to save in .rtf format which is more universal than .doc format.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm really surprised that some teachers are still using and requiring Word format. When I was in school I actually had a lot of teachers specifically tell their students to save in .rtf format which is more universal than .doc format.
No surprise here. Not only educational institutes, but just about the entire corporate and legal world is *.doc only. Microsoft Office is in some ways an even larger "cash cow" for MS than Windows. MS made a fortune selling Office 2008 to Mac owners. Myself included.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Microsoft Office is in some ways an even larger "cash cow" for MS than Windows.
I had heard that Office was in fact their largest source of revenue but I could be wrong.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

Actually there are PPC versions of OpenOffice 3.1

PPC OpenOffice 3.1

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Official builds or non-official builds? I guess either way, it's nice to know that as long as they work.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

vita64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4

Thanks everyone. I'm going with the link shades provided, but if that's problematic I may take the advice that harryb2448 gave about buying a used version of the MS Office Suite which still has at least one (preferably two) code(s) left.

My stepdaughter's professor didn't specify that MS Word docs were the only acceptable format, but he does provide the homework in that format. I'm having her err on the safe side by sending back the completed homework in the same format.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recipients can't open Excel | Anti-virus software »